Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** - do you buy it?

Options
  • 08-02-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

• firstly, i've searched around and couldn't find any threads on this.
    • secondly, this isn't a spam/affiliate type thread.. i'm genuinely curious as to other webmasters views on it.

for anyone who doesn't know what i'm on about, the link is in my sig (with my referal).

**** is only a few months old.. yet i'm seeing it everywhere and all the big guns are in on it... shoemoney, john chow etc..

These guys know their stuff and are multi-millionaires. Mixed with the rapid growth rate and general hype around other forums and blogs, i've took the bait and registered.

In the short-term, there's no cash for it... but in the long term, this could be huge for all of us. Basically one big affiliate system which shares revenue amongst it's members (us).

The concept is flawless. On paper it could kill Google's Adsense. With an estimated 10m members by June '07, surely this has to be taken seriously?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Seriously there were loads of these types of companies during the bubble.

It is way too easy to game the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

fintan wrote:
    It is way too easy to game the system.

If it's so easy, why aren't others succeeding?

The reality is, it's not easy. It's very difficult to challenge the big boys like Adsense, unless you have unique selling points and a suitcases full of cash to back it.

text-link-ads, review me and adbrite are the only 3 off the top of my head which have made it big time and will continue to grow.

with google's monopoly, it means we're all geting screwed as they dictate everything.

****** is a very good concept and built on solid foundations. Provided we don't have another dot com crash, it should succeed. As people are richer, have access to the net 24/7 and more IT savvy than they were in 2000/2001, it's very difficult to see how advertising can collapse again in the foreseeable future.

I see the 'A' word has been banned already by boards.. fair enough.. you don't want it all over the place and seeing it everywhere you go. However labelling 'A' as spam before it's even launched is a bit OTT.

200,000 members at present and probably the fastest growing indexed word on google.. there is NOTHING to lose by joining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Anti-fraud and other software utilities

What does this mean, will they be checking out my machine?

Anti-fraud and other software utilities

What does this mean, will they be checking out my machine?

"The Viewbar™ also has many additional features:

* Search (which lets us get you money from search engine companies)
    * Contextual ads (which lets us get you money from advertisers)
    * Anti-fraud and other software utilities (which lets us get you money from software companies)"

say you download firefox or some sort of virus cleaner, you'll get paid to download it in effect.

At the minute, you don't. The owner gets you to use his software and makes money off the back of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

smemon wrote:
    If it's so easy, why aren't others succeeding?

The reality is, it's not easy. It's very difficult to challenge the big boys like Adsense, unless you have unique selling points and a suitcases full of cash to back it.

text-link-ads, review me and adbrite are the only 3 off the top of my head which have made it big time and will continue to grow.

with google's monopoly, it means we're all geting screwed as they dictate everything.

****** is a very good concept and built on solid foundations. Provided we don't have another dot com crash, it should succeed. As people are richer, have access to the net 24/7 and more IT savvy than they were in 2000/2001, it's very difficult to see how advertising can collapse again in the foreseeable future.

I see the 'A' word has been banned already by boards.. fair enough.. you don't want it all over the place and seeing it everywhere you go. However labelling 'A' as spam before it's even launched is a bit OTT.

200,000 members at present and probably the fastest growing indexed word on google.. there is NOTHING to lose by joining :)

You mis-understood me.

Lets say I sign up and install the tool bar software.
    Im guessing I get based on number of ads viewed or clicked on?

Well lets say I write a small script that browses the internet for me all day (when im in work) and all night (when Im in bed). I get paid for doing nothing?

Now lets imagine every student with time on their hands, a pc and broadband get the same (not so orginal) idea, the system has now been gamed and the benefit to advertisers decreases.

If people then start doing this across multiple machines, well the chances of the company staying afloat are slim to none.

So like I said, nice idea, but way too easily gamed.

• Advertisement

fintan wrote:
    You mis-understood me.

Lets say I sign up and install the tool bar software.
    Im guessing I get based on number of ads viewed or clicked on?

Well lets say I write a small script that browses the internet for me all day (when im in work) and all night (when Im in bed). I get paid for doing nothing?

Now lets imagine every student with time on their hands, a pc and broadband get the same (not so orginal) idea, the system has now been gamed and the benefit to advertisers decreases.

If people then start doing this across multiple machines, well the chances of the company staying afloat are slim to none.

So like I said, nice idea, but way too easily gamed.

ah, point taken..

however they limit each member to a maximum of 5 hours online each MONTH!

therefore it's hardly worthwhile writing a script to browse the net for you. Most people would spend 5 hours a DAY online :p

obviously, the clever way to use those hours is when you're buying from dell, booking flights etc.. as you'll get affiliate type deals.

I understand it's open to abuse, but only up to a point... in fairness, i think the system is well thought out. Provided, they don't set the hours to unlimited, as you say, (which opens the door for click fraud/auomation), advertisers won't ditch it.

Advertisement