Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am I being ridiculous

• 08-02-2007 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know a lovely guy, we are not going out or anything but he has told my friends he likes me and asks me if I am heading out on a certain night etc. He is brilliant in every way except he's smaller than me, this is the only thing that's putting me off. I'm being ridiculous amn't I? I'm 5'8" and he's about 5'4".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In a word, yes.

Seriously if he brilliant in every way except for this 'little' flaw then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No offence, but yeah, you're being totally ridiculous about it. If you truely like him, then petty things like height/etc shouldn't matter. I'd say go for it, if thats all thats holding you back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

TomKat??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

No you're not being ridiculous.

You don't like the size of him. It's a personal thing whether or not you can get over this - not something we can advise on.

My opinion would be to give the squirt a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Go for it. Plus if he has a flat head you can rest your pint on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I would say this is definitely a case of "size doesn't matter" :D

Seriously, what would you think of him if he wouldn't have anything to do with you because you were taller?

(... in fact, I would have thought it more an issue for him, in the sense that he would be more likely to be self-conscious ... but maybe that's because I'm a man?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You are being rediculus, but will a load of boards poster telling you that actually change your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 serena06

I'm a tall girl and just can't feel myself attracted to guys who are smaller than me.People can't judge you for that. if you don't feel attracted, you don't and that's it. Now, if you do feel attracted to him but are afraid of what people might think it's another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hmmm I'm a small guy myself. I prefer *slightly* taller women too it's unfortunate.

Now I could be deluding myelf but I've often thought that if you liked him enough it wouldn't bother you.

So going by my logic raising the issue on boards means you just don't like him enough. He's a "lovely" guy so maybe you feel you *should* like him. Be aware.

Hmm kinda feel bad that I might be burning another short guy's chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

If height is your only concern, then ur damn lucky, it's hard to find a prtner who your only criticism is height....

I used to go out with someone taller than me, it worked out apart from the fact that I realised her true worth after we started goin out, but there was only ever a couple of piss-take regarding height...:o

she was about 6'0 and I was about 5'0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

More for him? He should be delighted! Yes, if he is brilliant like you say, except for his height, consider yourself lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Don't go near him. Your kids will end up being short too and do you really want to put your children through that?

alantc: you do realise that height has to do with genes from both parents.. and even still, im taller than both my parents so however you figured that one out.. rethink it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Not ridiculus if it bothers you dont date him...

at least give him a go horizontally before you dont pursue it ... its good to have all the pros and cons before this type of decision..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just get him some lifts and he'll be grand. My boss in work wears shoes with a 4 inch heel but eh nobody notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

alantc: you do realise that height has to do with genes from both parents.. and even still, im taller than both my parents so however you figured that one out.. rethink it

Please tell me more of this genetics thing you speak of.

Quick question. If two tall people, a tall and a short couple and two short people each have a child, who do you think is most likely to have short kids and who might have the tallest.

It's not unusual for girls to want a taller partner, to the point where they ask about it on the internet. I don't want any of my kids to be "the short guy" and I think the OP can empathise with that. Evolutionary advantage and all that. You'd probably know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

being a tall girl, I couldn't face going out with smaller guys either...It's nothing personal - but for me, I would need a shoulder to lean on (in the most literal sense), and I have enough neck problems without having to bend down all the time on top of that...Plus I think it looks ridiculous, but again, that's personal opinion.

It's harsh, and I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of nice guys due to their height - but if you can't help it, you can't help it...

And about those genetics: My parents are both around 5'2" or so - and my brother and I are very tall (6'5" and 5'11" respectively) - what does that tell you (and no, my mom was not having an affair with the viking neighbour next door...) ;-)

In a world where love is so valued and precious.. physical attributes are focused upon too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6"3 girls are hard to come across...[/QUOTE]unless you are very well endowed.

Anyway there is a difference in height of only 4" between you. If you wore flat shoes and he wore hiking boots would that help ? And besides the difference is only when you are standing.

IIRC Julie Andrews had to walk in a trench when filming with Omar Sharif

Shoe lifts - http://www.gwheellift.com/graphics/foot.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

if its just his height give him a chance id say like go on a date see how it goes make sure your both sitting down:p
    i wouldnt really go out with a much shorter guy than myself and being tall enough for a girl ,its hard to find someone to lean on (their shoulder).
    but id say give it a whirl see how it goes. best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I know a lovely guy, we are not going out or anything but he has told my friends he likes me and asks me if I am heading out on a certain night etc. He is brilliant in every way except he's smaller than me, this is the only thing that's putting me off. I'm being ridiculous amn't I? I'm 5'8" and he's about 5'4".
    My uncle married a woman who was serveral inches taller than him. They are now married over 24 years therefore height is not a problem. He was able to hit the mark, to prove it they now have four kids. ;)

I used to have this thing that any guy I went out with had to be taller than me-then I met my first boyfriend and almost didn't go out with him because he was only the same height as me-I decided I was being shallow and am so glad now I went out with him. If only this guy was a bit taller he'd be perfect. I'd just feel strange standing beside him. I do love tall guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Tbh it's difficult to change the way you feel about things like this. Sure, it's probably shallow, but just saying that doesn't change the discomfort or strangeness cause by the height difference.

Me, I only really have one thing that's guaranteed to be a deal-breaker in terms of girls I'm interested in - I won't get involved with girls who are (noticably) taller than me. Everything else, I just take as it comes, but that's pretty much the only stone-wall rule I have. Could be any number of reasons for that; feelings of inadequacy? Self-consciousness about how ridiculous it might look? I don't know, and tbh I don't particularly care. There aren't too many girls taller than me, and I'm only 5"9.

At the end of the day it's your decision hello-kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

No you're not really being ridiculous. That's just the way you feel. But I think you should give him a chance. His personality might make up for his height and it would be unfair to just ditch him all because he's small.

'Ok well I stayed over at his the other night, despite him wanting to we didn't go the whole way, he said he'll text me and it's been a couple of days now- now I'm just worried I went too far with him and he's gonna lose interest. I told him the reason I wasn't going to have sex with him was because I don't know him well enough and it was only the first night i was with him, respect etc.'

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Cateym

Hiya,

I had the same issue. I always went for tall guys (my dad is 5'4", mother is 4'11") so I come from a long line of shorties. My first three boyfriends were 6', 6'3" and 5'10"! Then I met my current boyfriend (of three years) who is about half an inch taller than me!I tower over him in heels.

At first it was a real stumbling block for me. I found it really odd looking my boyf in the eye instead of looking up at him!

Obviously I got over all that and we are very happy together but it did take a while and we did get a slagging. Munchkins etc etc.

What people have told me is once they met us a few times they don't notice anymore that he and I are wee people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Muchos laughterous....:)

Tbh, its a personal thing, you're either comfortable with it or your not..
    Personally, i would'nt date a taller girl.. but fortunatley for me I'll never have that problem.
    6"3 girls are hard to come across...

yeah, six inch girls are a rarity.

OP - you are not being ridiculous, you are entitled to select or rule out a partner based on any criteria you like. HOWEVER if you end up alone and lonely, you can always console yourself by congratulating yourself you are not with a shortarse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah you are being a little silly tbh. If you really like him and he is great in everyway then it really should not matter that he is smaller than you.

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

I wouldn't. If you think that before you're going with him, then it may only get worse. But dont tell him why!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Cateym

Oh yeah I just remembered my next door neighbour is going out with a guy who is alot more than 4 inches smaller than her. She really towers after him. They have been together forever. Suppose at end of day is it something you could get over?

'well i've seen him since and he says he didnt text me cos he had no credit- he's really shy but just in general i am getting the impression he doesn't like me anymore... great, i've been used....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

'well i've seen him since and he says he didnt text me cos he had no credit- he's really shy but just in general i am getting the impression he doesn't like me anymore... great, i've been used....'
    How old are you both? Is he earning money because he has no credit?
    You say he shy, so text him and ask him what kind of relationship does he wants, it best to be sure, without jumping to assumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

am i being ridiculous? que stereotypical predictable answers! no your are not being ridiculous, im 6 foot, im not sure how id feel about going out with a 6foot 4 inches girl. If you were saying he was overweight or underweight etc it would go down much easier. Im not saying its a massive issue but i am saying that i wouldnt exactly just dismiss it off hand. The thing is when and if you went out, would it constantly get to you? i dont know but id imagine it would always be there. Anyway all im saying is no your not being rediculous, its your decision and we arent the ones who will have to go out with the guy one way or another, so its easy for us to voice an opinion, good luck whatever your decision :)

limklad wrote:
    How old are you both? Is he earning money because he has no credit?
    You say he shy, so text him and ask him what kind of relationship does he wants, it best to be sure, without jumping to assumptions.

I've seen him since (sober) and he doesn't seem interested- now he didn't seem interested (sober) before i was with him but surely even though he's shy, after being with me he won't feel shy? i mean he knows now i like him.

• Advertisement

No credit??... fair enough for 1 or 2 days.. you'd forgive him.. but it's been like 4 or 5.... respect yourself+ make him put more effort into seeing you etc...
    free internet texts etc... tut tut to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

Personally I wouldn't let height be a big issue. Remember the old saying "little jockey big whip".

'

I'm sure he's mirrorning your exact feeling no. I'm a friend to you and I'll advise you, if you go to timbucktoo and back and go to an irish dancefloor, I'd get stares too but I'm not taller than my girl. And Golden called me lucky Mikey. Don't ever mess ur life up for a girl. They can't help you like family not there. Read my post and save it for life. I'm your mate and please listen to me, don't ever feel that low about you only a golden strike of luck for you I promise, if you change your views tell him if he's down not to feel bad if they slag him. So if you're down, tell her to say to him you're not short. I know mi key don't be low over your height because that's what they told me and now I'm a successful person. And the girlfriend will not be ashamed. Just remember not everyone goes for height. So remember I feel your pain so don't go to clowns tunes, you're not to be ashamed. Tell him that from me.Being blonde and being small is what monday blues call u goes to nothing but never feel down tell him. Height means nothing and love his eyes not his height.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

deisemum wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't let height be a big issue. Remember the old saying "little jockey big whip".

Yeah, he's probably got a little jockey, if you know what I mean. Avoid him at all costs.

Advertisement