Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checking Penalty Points

Options
  • 08-02-2007 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how I check how many penalty points I've racked up?

I reckon all mine are out of date now, but I haven't received anything to say so.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

They don't bother to tell you AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Have you any gardai friends? i'm sure they could find out quickly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

That is something I have wondered before.
    It would be handy if they set up a website so we could check the start and end date of any points.
    It would be handy for employeers to check as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Records are held by Dept of Environment

Have not heard of anyone doing it, but I think you should be able to obtain the information on your penalty points under "Freedom of Information" Act.

Information Here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

J_R wrote:
    Have not heard of anyone doing it, but I think you should be able to obtain the information on your penalty points under "Freedom of Information" Act.

It is personal information so you could put in a request under the Data protection act and it would't cost anything.

There should be a simpler way though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Rabies wrote:
    That is something I have wondered before.
    It would be handy if they set up a website so we could check the start and end date of any points.
    It would be handy for employeers to check as well.

That's exactly why they don't have such a system. Ever hear of the Data Protection Act. The only people that can check your Penalty Points, apart from yourself and authorised Governement officials, are Hibernian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

kikel wrote:
    They don't bother to tell you AFAIK

They do. I received notification when mine were up.

Bear in mind that it's three years from the date you get notification of receipt of your penalty points and not three years from the date of getting caught.

In my case, because of of a Garda Admin error (some poor smuck was given my points) it was 11 months before I got my points, so it was nearly 4 years from the time of getting caught to the time they were expunged.

I queried this with the Dept and was basically told - Tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

smcgiff wrote:
    In my case, because of of a Garda Admin error (some poor smuck was given my points) it was 11 months before I got my points, so it was nearly 4 years from the time of getting caught to the time they were expunged.

Damn. I thought the rule was if they took more than 6 months to send them out to you, the points were invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Just rang the Motor tax office this morning and they told me straight away. My 2 points run out on the 24th of this month! Nice one... :D
    It was for 36 in a 30 BTW! Grrr..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Out of curiosity, people say they have penalty points pending but how do you know that if you're snapped by a camera or something? Do they send out the ticket immediately and the points months later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

testicle wrote:
    That's exactly why they don't have such a system. Ever hear of the Data Protection Act. The only people that can check your Penalty Points, apart from yourself and authorised Governement officials, are Hibernian.
    I'm not talking about giving away sensitive information.
    Enter your license number, get your list of points and expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

testicle wrote:
    And the transparency of the criminal justice system?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

testicle wrote:
    Entering in a licence number won't reveal the identity of the driver. However, if they wanted to make it a bit more secure then they could simply request the licence issue date or something as well as the licence number.
    Stark wrote:
    Out of curiosity, people say they have penalty points pending but how do you know that if you're snapped by a camera or something? Do they send out the ticket immediately and the points months later?
    If you get snapped by a camera or whtever, you *don't* have points pending. You only have points pendig when you receive a letter telling you that you have points pending. The garda letter regarding the fine is not a points pending letter. If you assume that the garda letter is a points pending letter then you could be putting yourself through a longer punishment period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

testicle wrote:

Only Hibernian or all insurers....I'd be interested in that one!!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote:
    Only Hibernian or all insurers....I'd be interested in that one!!!!
    Only Hibernian gave a commitment to give discounts to those with no penalty points so only they (and anyone they underwrite) can find out someones points

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kbannon wrote:
    Only Hibernian gave a commitment to give discounts to those with no penalty points

In other words, Hibernian gave a commitment to load those with one or more points! As the number of points-free drivers falls, average premiums go up. They're playing the authorities for fools on this one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Rabies wrote:
    I'm not talking about giving away sensitive information.
    Enter your license number, get your list of points and expiry date.
    Yeah, still a problem as far as data protection goes...
    I used to Drive for a company, they kept a copy of my licence on file there... so if that system was in place they could easly check up on you... Too be honest id find that a step to far in invading my privacy..

Advertisement