Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 Should I Buy?

Options
  • 08-02-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Buying a new car in the next couple of weeks and am thinking Mazda 6! 12-14K to spend and hoping 2003/2004

What are peoples thoughts, experiences? Which is the better model-- Sports or Touring? What about the extras? Is there anything I should look out for?

Or I also like the BMW 318CE , but obviously more expensive--

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Sorry, meant to ask opinions on Sports Vs Touring Vs Comfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Put a deposit on one yesterday! Personally wouldn't go with the Comfort as the spec is a bit too low. I'm buying a Touring. Not sure what the difference is with the Sport as I think the current range (updated '06?) differs WRT kit. Get as good as you can afford I guess! Have a look around and you might get a better price - I'm getting a 2005 model for €17K.

Cheers-- Did you buy dealer or private?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I nearly bought a Mazda 6 late last year. Go for the Sport Touring model it will cost you no more than the same year lower Comfort or Touring models.

Just to break down the 6 models:

Comfort (basic model): 4 x electric windows, electric heated mirrors, remote central locking, 6 x air bags, 15" steel wheels, cd player and air conditioning.

Touring: Comfort spec plus multi function leather steering wheel including remote stereo controls and cruise control, leather handbrake and gear stick, front and rear arm rest plus electronic climate controlled air conditioning.

Sport Touring: Touring spec plus velour seat trim, electric tilt & slide sunroof, traction control, 16" alloy wheels and lowered sports suspension.

The 6 is a good buy second hand as it seems to depreciate rather quickly, typical Mazda reliability. Afaik there was a recall on them a year or two ago for a possible problem with the steering rack or something so make sure it has been replaced at this stage.

Regarding the BMW, I'm not sure if you are talking about the 318ic coupe or 318i SE saloon. Not really fair to compare the 6 to the coupe as they are like chalk and cheese. The 3 Series saloon might be a slightly better car to drive but the 6 is very nice to drive too. Also in 318 saloon form there is not enough of a difference to justify the extra price of the BMW imo.

Thanks Bazz

Good info

Out of interest, what did you buy in the end?

• Advertisement

Mike07 wrote:
    Thanks Bazz

Good info

Out of interest, what did you buy in the end?

Didn't buy anything in the end. We are moving house so didn't want to spend too much money at the moment. Was thinking of trading my 2003 1.8 Avensis with 120k miles for a 2003 Mazda 6 1.8 Sport Touring with only 42k miles back in November. Was getting a car with a fraction of mileage for reasonable money but decided to hold off as the car is driving perfectly and see next year if I can come up a year or two. The Mazda 6 Sport Touring will definately be on my shopping list and due to the country gone SSIA mad there will be plenty of 04/05/06 used bargins out there.

What are peoples thoughts on 5 door vs 4 door--Is it just a question of looks or is wind noise louder in the in the 5 door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a 04 Mazda 6 Sports Tourer which I could wholeheartedly recommend. No problems whatsoever in 35,000 miles (not that I'd expect problems at this stage but it's better than my previous Toyota). I love the looks - that's why I got it. Superb handling for a biggish 4-door saloon.

Saloon/hatch shouldn't make much difference although saloons in general tend to be less troublesome in terms of rattles etc. as a car gets older. Saloons usually have a stiffer structure because of the smaller opening (I read somewhere long ago!)

Something to be aware of - Mazda took over the Irish distributorship this year. Prices for the 6 and other models were reduced which have - I reckon - effected re-sale at this point in time. So a great time to buy (but maybe not to sell dammit!)

Oh and go for the Sports Touring if you can at all. They're a little rare but shouldn't cost much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

I also have an 04 Sports Touring, but a hatch. I've done the best part of 60 K miles and have no problems. It has been serviced on the button though as it is a company car. Yes there is the odd rattle and squeak from the hatch, but I much prefer the conveniece of a hatch and the seats are a doddle to put down.

It is a lovely looking car, drives like a dream and the sports touring spec has everything that you could want on it. I would definately recommend the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

have a look in the UK or NI....plenty to choose from

If you decide to go that route, go for the TS2 spec. Also, try to get one with the dark interior. I was looking very closely at them recently and considered buying one, but found it very difficult to get a dark interior which is much better. The light grey interior doesn't do much for me

• Advertisement

Thanks

What are the best sites for NI cars? probably not spending enough to justify a ferry

Mike07 wrote:
    Thanks

What are the best sites for NI cars? probably not spending enough to justify a ferry
    try autotrader www.autotrader.ie or autotrader.co.uk or use the Mazda Used car locator from their dealers http://www.mazdaapprovedusedcarssite.co.uk/

You can search using distant from postcode. I used BT48 0BF, its Derry City so anything will be east of it towards UK across the north.
    Best of luck.

Thanks all

Thats it decided then!!

03/04 Mazda6 Sports Touring or TS2 , Hatchback, Grey, Black or Silver, With darker style interior, 50K ish miles , one lady owner, pristine condition and I'd like a proper Reg like Longford :) with a cherry on top

Should be easy

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I think if buying the 6, you should go a saloon. How many hatchback 6's are seen on our roads? The point i'm trying to make is that come resale time, the saloon will be much easier to get rid of. If you mean the estate, well they are not exactly very common either. Haven't been in one but have been in the Mazda2 and Mazda3, and was impressed, especially with the 3. I'd imagine the 6 should be as good as the 3, if not better. About the noise thing, again I haven't been in one but the 6 is supposed to be quite noisy compared to its rivals. Thats the only thing wrong with the 6 AFAIK. Good luck with your purchase anyway.

E92 wrote:
    I think if buying the 6, you should go a saloon. How many hatchback 6's are seen on our roads? The point i'm trying to make is that come resale time, the saloon will be much easier to get rid of. If you mean the estate, well they are not exactly very common either. Haven't been in one but have been in the Mazda2 and Mazda3, and was impressed, especially with the 3. I'd imagine the 6 should be as good as the 3, if not better. About the noise thing, again I haven't been in one but the 6 is supposed to be quite noisy compared to its rivals. Thats the only thing wrong with the 6 AFAIK. Good luck with your purchase anyway.

I've seen as many hatchback models as saloons on the road, they look very similar so are hard to distignuish except the hatchback has a high level rear brake light built into the boot, the saloon has it in the rear window. The hatchback costs more when new but will fetch the same as the saloon second hand. Having been around at various dealers looking at these cars I have never seen the hatchback going cheaper than the saloon. It all boils down to personal choice, the boot in the saloon is actually a bit larger than the hatchback but the hatchback has easier access which makes it more practical. Personally I prefer the saloon as I have always had saloon cars but if the right Mazda 6 came along and it was a hatchback I would not be put off.

just a personal thing really, but i think the 5 door looks "tidier"

4 door = (indifferent about spoiler)

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=581555

5 door ( The colour!!)

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=586715

estate 6's are very rare over here and the spec on them is awful aswell. If you want an estate go to the UK or NI. I test drove an estate out of curiosity a few weeks ago in Cork and it was ver agile on the road.

If I was choosing between a saloon or hatch, I'd opt for the hatch, but thats a personal choice.

Only thing I found crap about the Mazda was the alloys were peeling and its apparently a common problem. The centre console on the pre '05 facelifted models also looked and felt a bit cheap. Other than that I know plenty people with them and have had no problems.

Mike07 wrote:
    just a personal thing really, but i think the 5 door looks "tidier"

4 door = (indifferent about spoiler)

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=581555

5 door ( The colour!!)

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=586715

I quite like the spoiler on the saloon, it doesn't intrude on the rear view of the car and is an OEM Mazda spoiler but all that boils down to personal taste.

P.S That 5 door is advertised as a Sport Touring, it is in fact a Touring as it doesn't have the electric sunroof. Also those aftermarket alloy wheels look terrible imo.

Also both cars are private sales and as such are a bit overpriced.

Cheers Bazz--Noted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote:
    P.S That 5 door is advertised as a Sport Touring, it is in fact a Touring as it doesn't have the electric sunroof. Also those aftermarket alloy wheels look terrible imo.

@Mike07 - I've noticed that quite a lot - Touring models with alloys advertised as 'Sport Touring' models. The sunroof is a giveaway as are the alloys. The ones on this are exclusive to the real Sports Touring AFAIK (on pre-facelift cars).

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    I've seen as many hatchback models as saloons on the road, they look very similar so are hard to distignuish except the hatchback has a high level rear brake light built into the boot, the saloon has it in the rear window. The hatchback costs more when new but will fetch the same as the saloon second hand. Having been around at various dealers looking at these cars I have never seen the hatchback going cheaper than the saloon. It all boils down to personal choice, the boot in the saloon is actually a bit larger than the hatchback but the hatchback has easier access which makes it more practical. Personally I prefer the saloon as I have always had saloon cars but if the right Mazda 6 came along and it was a hatchback I would not be put off.

That's interesting because here in the"real capital";){lets face it everybody knows we are:D }(joke!) I've never seen a Mazda6 hatchback. Indeed its rare enough that I'd see a hatchback version of anything in that category(Avensis, Mondeo are 99% of the time saloons, almost anytime if its not a saloon, I see an estate) Obviously this isn't as true in other parts of the country then. I'd always have a saloon over a hatch in that size of car, don't know why actually, but I just would. If it was say a Focus or smaller it would always be a hatch, again its just what I'd do.

From looking at the dealers and on carzone i'd say the ratio of 4 door to 5 door is about 3:1

I was in Tralee last night to see the "Real Capital" play kerry-- The weather was brutal and Cork were worse.

Still looking for that perfect Mazda 6 , but these 2 Mercs caught my eye

Has anyone any experience/thoughts?

This CLK 230 is within budget
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=598219

This 200 is over budget :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

E92 wrote:
    That's interesting because here in the"real capital";){lets face it everybody knows we are:D }(joke!) I've never seen a Mazda6 hatchback. Indeed its rare enough that I'd see a hatchback version of anything in that category(Avensis, Mondeo are 99% of the time saloons, almost anytime if its not a saloon, I see an estate) Obviously this isn't as true in other parts of the country then. I'd always have a saloon over a hatch in that size of car, don't know why actually, but I just would. If it was say a Focus or smaller it would always be a hatch, again its just what I'd do.

I actually think the hatch looks nicer in the Mondeo and the 6, but not the Avensis.

Test drove an Alfa today-significantly less then budget FSH & very low mileage
    :confused:

Moderators--- you may want to close this thread!!! :D There are probable alarms screaming and red lights flashing everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mike07 wrote:
    Moderators--- you may want to close this thread!!! :D

I take it you're joking? ;)

Of course I am -- Some of the Alfa 156 threads on here will be treated as classic literature in years to come--;)

They have it all--comedy, passion, jealousy and tragedy and tragedy and tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BTW, Mike07, both your links are for the same CLK200

Did you mean this CLK230?

The mileage explains the price. Good value though imho :)

Keep it in good condition and depreciation will be very low indeed. Lovely looking car in the great tradition of MB coupes

• Advertisement

Mike07 wrote:
    Still looking for that perfect Mazda 6 , but these 2 Mercs caught my eye

Has anyone any experience/thoughts?

This CLK 230 is within budget

This 200 is over budget :confused:

They'll be catching more than your eye with all the problems you'll have when owning one! Merc quality has gone down the tubes, in '99 they decided that they were spending too much on quality. Its why the old ones have that over engineered feel, but the new ones don't feel all that well made. Some say their quality got 'infected' by their merger with the Chrysler group. Whatever the reason, they seem to be giving lots of trouble, almost as bad as a Fiat/Alfa these days.

Advertisement