Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband for Dublin

Options
  • 08-02-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I thought stories about a wireless broadband network network for Dublin in the papers last week were interesting. Estimates to build a municiple wifi network in the Docklands area were put at EUR20 million.

My residence and one of my businesses is close to the Dublin docklands/IFSC area so I have a personal interest.

One topic the papers didn't cover was how much such a network would cost to maintain. If (as I assume) a network on the WiMax standard was set up to cover the few square miles of the docklands by Dublin City Council, or the DDDA, how much would it cost to maintain this each year? If IFSC businesses were relying on it (or even Google on Barrow Street!) any unfixed snags could be disasterous.

Any informed guestimates would be gladly accepted. And are there any operators in Ireland capable of operating this? I do remember reading somewhere that BT wwere thinking about doing something similiar in Belfast.

Also, does anyone know of wireless broadband receivers that have been ruggedised for marine use? Water taxis is where I'm coming from.

Much obliged,
    H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its not being set up as a replacement for home or business broadband, Its just for on the move surfing. Looking for maps of Dublin, restaurants etc. It won't have the reliability or speed of conventional broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Its utter muppetry anyway. Just look at how badly most of municipal Wifi networks in the States are going.

Advertisement