Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM price disparity in different Dell Dimensions - Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would say its possibly different RAM, then again some of those memory sites i posted about before.. like www.crucial.com had identical memory for different model PC's at very different Prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Dimension 8250 uses RDRAM (Rambus) a defunct RAM type no longer in mass production hence the high price.

The Dimension 3000 uses industry standard DDR RAM hence the low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That would explain it. Even when RDRAM was mainstream.. for all of a few months :D It was way way overpriced. I think the original P4 cpu could only use this until Intel decided to try other technology or something like that.... i remember something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thanks for the replies :) .
    8T8 wrote:
    The Dimension 8250 uses RDRAM (Rambus) a defunct RAM type no longer in mass production hence the high price.

The Dimension 3000 uses industry standard DDR RAM hence the low price.
    That clears that up - thanks.

Advertisement