Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Other Roots into psychology

• 08-02-2007 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Okay, i was just wondering is there any other (easyer) way to become a psychologist. I am doing my leaving cert and have a feeling that i am not going to get the points i need. I heard that you can do a course in fetac and then go on to to a postgraduate degree but can you still go on from there and get your phd And if you know of any other ways then i will uber happy! Thanks for your help!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Sorry guyfoo but I'm pretty sure that you won't get on to any postgrad psych coursed in Ireland from a fetac course. You'll require a primary degree in psychology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Guyfoo wrote:
    Okay, i was just wondering is there any other (easyer) way to become a psychologist. I am doing my leaving cert and have a feeling that i am not going to get the points i need. I heard that you can do a course in fetac and then go on to to a postgraduate degree but can you still go on from there and get your phd And if you know of any other ways then i will uber happy! Thanks for your help!:D

A fetac course might help you get onto an Arts degree where you can take psychology as one of your subjects. You will need at least a 2.1 in order to gain entry to a graduate diploma in psychology which will give you the equivelent of a full psychology degree and graduate membership of the PSI. You need to be a member of the PSI in order to apply for any post graduate courses in psychology but in order to get on any of these programs you are going to need at least a 2.1 in your graduate diploma and some relevant work experience. Getting on to a phd is even more difficult because it is very competitive. You will need either excellent grades or lots of work experience in the area you want to do the phd in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

I know that Dublin Business School do an undergraduate psychology degree that has lower points than the universities, and it also offers it as a part time eveing degree. The awarding body for this is HETAC and it is recognised by the PSI i.e. it is equal to a psychology degree from the Irish universities.

Also anyone who really sets their heart on a particular course should at least consider the option of repeating their leaving cert if the points are realistically attainable by you. There's many a medicine / psychology / law student who have done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Hate to be negative but I would only pursue Psychology if you are REALLY sure its the career for you. I'm in my third year of an undergraduate degree in Psych and it has become clear that it will take a serious amount of time and work to actually be qualified to work as a Psychologist. To add another course before even going into a degree would make that time even longer. On the other hand if you are sure its what you want to do, go for it:)

Advertisement