Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounting a 42inch Plasma

• 08-02-2007 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Quick Q.

I have a Toshiba 42inch plasma. Keen to wallmount this. Is traditional plasterboard strong enough to hold these? What brackets are advised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Well, you should ensure that you screw into the vertical 4x2 studs supporting the wall - DO NOT use ordinary plasterboard expansion fixings and hang it off just the plasterboard!. The studs should be on 400 mm centres, you may need to drill a few small pilot holes to find one.

A standard VESA wall-mounting bracket suitable for plasma (heavier than LCD remember) will also be needed. Check the weight of your TV to be sure (should be in manual).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is it a partition wall or is it dob and dab onto a brick dividing wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Its the plasterboard mounted above the fireplace. Not too far from brick, however it certainly is not brick. It feels a bit stronger, however I dont think its anything much 'better' than plasterboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In that case it'll be blockwork behind the plasterboard.

In the last year I've mounted two Plasma's on similar walls with no trouble.

I've posted detailed instructions and wo I went about in this thread
    I mounted my 32" Samsung R7 on the same type of wall about 2 weeks ago.

When doing it, it would depend on what type of bracket you are going to use. The one I used was the type that had a mounting plate about 500mm x 300mm that you attach to the wall and then attach the clips (see pic) to the TV and then hook them onto the mounting plate.

I done so much research on to how to mount the bracket that my head was in a spin. Every time I'd check out a different forum someone would have suggested a different way to mount it. Everything from cutting away the plasterboard to filling the gaps behind the plasterboard with No More Nails to attaching a piece of MDF to the plasterboard etc. etc.

In the end what I did (on the advice of a friend that knows his DIY) was mount the plate with brown rawlplugs with 2" long screws that you'd get in any DIY store. I put 4 screws in the top and 2 at the bottom.

You drill a hole through the plasterboard and into the blockwork behind. The hole should be just slightly longer than the screw that you are using.

Then insert a straw into the hole to blow out any remaining dust.

Get one of the screws and screw it slightly into the rawlplug and then with a hammer bang it into the hole in the wall. When it's in place give it a few turns with a screwdriver so that the rawlplug expands. Unscrew the screw and then repeat with all the other holes.

Then get your mounting plate and attached it to the wall.

You don't really need to anymore ellaborate than that.

Ideally when you're drilling the holes you should go through the Dabs of plaster that are used to hold the plasterboard onto the wall but I wouldn't worry too much I you don't.

Hope this this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thanks. Ive selected a different place for the Plasma at present, will consider this option if im going to move it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement