Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Camel toe" shoes - opinions?

• 08-02-2007 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

i.php?a=collections%2Faw06%2Fladies%2F&i=3119-4a.jpg&s=595

I think they look horrible tbh. They'd look better with a normal toe even if they're still a bit too frilly for me. What do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

simu wrote:

I think they look horrible tbh. They'd look better with a normal toe even if they're still a bit too frilly for me. What do ye think?

Very much inspired by the tradition Japanese tabi it seems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi

I think they look very good indeed though, very unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

they've been around in trainers for a while. I imagine they would feel a little strange at first. bit like when you first put flip flops on in the summer and have the bar between your toes.

they've been around in trainers for a while.

Aye, Nike and Onitsuka Tiger, aswell as a few others have trainers in this style.

Tabi and tabi style footwear is very much a sporting/martial arts thing though, you'll have them if you a practitioner of numerous martial arts, or if you're into various water sports like scuba diving or surfing a lot of wetsuit boots have this feature (example) and of course, if you're into running or other such sports as the various tabi style trainers would indicate, you might want them. It makes more sense for application where you need all your agility to have the big toe sperated and not squeezed together with the rest.

Don't know about their applications in fashion, as it's usually something that's most constrictive that's trendy, but who knows? I've seen plenty of people wearing those Nike trainers around town. Could be the next big thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

They're ming! Really. wtf like? Looks like lady bits!

Shame too, cos Irregular Choice are a lovely brand with loads of gorgeous shoes. Really unique and kinda Gwen Stefani ish.

I got lacey purple/lilac platform wedge sandals in Arnotts, they were 115e and got em for 46e in the sale! w00p!

I would recommend all girls to have a look at their website!

http://www.irregularchoice.co.uk/images/index.php?album=collections/ss06/ladies/

Lil Kitten wrote:
    They're ming! Really. wtf like? Looks like lady bits!

Wow that's stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

When I saw "camel toe", I did assume it was referring to overly tight trews in the crotch area, and the subsequent emergence of "Beetle Bonnet".
    I dunno about the shoes. They're not too bad, but I feel I'd think webbed feet when I'd them, or the old "Cloven Hoof" thing. Devil Woman indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

I prefer camel toe pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

As a student of bujinkan I've been wearing Tabi for quite a while :) Very comfortable and practical :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd just look at the girl, get confused, think about what I was going to have for dinner, look at the moon,wonder where Jeeves was and whether or not he had killed michael yet.

Haven't you heard? Michael's dead. They found him impaled on a halibut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Wow that's stupid.
    tbh I couldn't get past picturing a fat lady in a tight swimsuit either.
    But at least I was classy enough not to mention it... eeh, up until this point anyway :cool:
    *grabs his coat and climbs back onboard the stupid bus - chooo choooo!*

r3nu4l wrote:
    As a student of bujinkan I've been wearing Tabi for quite a while :) Very comfortable and practical :)

Ah finally someone in the know. ;)
    tbh I couldn't get past picturing a fat lady in a tight swimsuit either.
    But at least I was classy enough not to mention it... eeh, up until this point anyway :cool:
    *grabs his coat and climbs back onboard the stupid bus - chooo choooo!*

Thanks for putting an image in my head that I'll need a black & decker to remove. And by thanks I mean **** you and the camel you rode in on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

r3nu4l wrote:

What he said ^^

They are very comfortable. The irony in everyone going "oh they're so stupid" is that what we consider "Normal" shoes are actually bad for our feet. Unlike tabi. Look at a dogs paw, or a cat. Look at nature programs showing large cats sprinting. Their paws spread out. Our feet are no different in basic premise, and that's what tabi allow your feet to do. I've over-simplified the matter but there's the jist of it.

Incidentally, I also have a pair for surfing. Very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

r3nu4l wrote:

They are quite cool-looking though, I must say. I doubt the ones in my pic are as comfortable, though! I'm impressed at the level of erudition displayed itt, I must say!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think they look hideous.. Freaky looking things :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

simu wrote:

Absolutely love em, although i think cloven, or cloven hooves are more flattering names for them. Theyre really original and funky.

cotwold wrote:
    Absolutely love em, although i think cloven, or cloven hooves are more flattering names for them. Theyre really original and funky.

Calling them cloven or cloven hooves isn't 'flattering' at all.

They're quite clearly Tabi, as in the traditional Japanese footwear. So they're hardly original at all. For example, take a look at this shop: http://www.sousou.co.jp/tabi/

Also, take notice of the socks worn by these geishas:

Pseudo%20Geisha.jpg

Here's a really big pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

They look completely and utterly ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

If you stub your toes in these, I imagine the chance of breaking your big toe will be greatly increased.

Calling them cloven or cloven hooves isn't 'flattering' at all.QUOTE]

It's a hell of a lot better than calling them "Camel toe", we all know what images we think of we thats dropped.

• Advertisement

cotwold wrote:
    It's a hell of a lot better than calling them "Camel toe", we all know what images we think of we thats dropped.

Yeah, the whole camel toe business shouldn't even come into it, that's just wrong.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Beelzebub wrote:
    If you stub your toes in these, I imagine the chance of breaking your big toe will be greatly increased.
    Don't some of them break their toes anyway to make their feet smaller and more petite?
    Not sure where I heard that, so I'm not sure how true it is... but ouch anyway.

Don't some of them break their toes anyway to make their feet smaller and more petite?
    Not sure where I heard that, so I'm not sure how true it is... but ouch anyway.

I believe this is what you're talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Ha, they look stupid.

Wow that's stupid.

Excuse me? Personal attack. Ban!!!!

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Excuse me? Personal attack. Ban!!!!
    :rolleyes:

Do you really need the difference between someone saying "That's stupid" and "You're stupid" explained to you?

Let me reiterate, just incase there was any confusion. Your statement is stupid. Infact, it's incredibly ignorant, as are a lot of statements on this thread.

Foot binding gives me the creeps.

cotwold wrote:
    Foot binding gives me the creeps.

Yeah, it's pretty horrific alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, not if you go for Gucci binds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭leann

Sorry to cut across the camel toe v cloven hoof debate but ive just checked out the irregular choice website and the shoes are amazing! Are they available in Dublin or do you have to order them online?

leann wrote:
    Are they available in Dublin or do you have to order them online?

A certain ladyfriend of mine got hers in Schuh.

leann wrote:
    Sorry to cut across the camel toe v cloven hoof debate but ive just checked out the irregular choice website and the shoes are amazing! Are they available in Dublin or do you have to order them online?

I got mine in Arnotts henry street

Ive seen them in champion sports and lifestyle, Puma and Nike both do ranges in them. Infact originaly they werent desined for fashion but instead to encourage track athlethes that were used to running barefoot to wear shoes.

Cobblers. Get it?:D

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote:

:confused:

il gatto wrote:

Em, no. Sorry:confused:

I meant the thing about barefoot athlethes sounding like specious marketing ploy and that it sounded like cobblers, and cobblers make shoes. Sorry for my seemingly random mention of a dying craft:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ninabissett

An uber cool New Zealand label called Zambesi have done this for one of their collections back in 2005 I think. They just had plain black or brown ones. The print on it is about distracting but hey totally up to you. I reckon they are cool though coz we're all talking about it.

Advertisement