Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Govindas?

• 09-02-2007 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I was in Govindas Abbey st. this evening, and noticed some new-looking menus.

I didn't really look at the menu as I guessed it was mostly the same stuff, anyway on the back there was an address for a 3rd Govindas on Merrion Row.

Dunno if it's open yet, but maybe soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I saw those very same menus when I was devouring my tofu!

It's probably open if they've advertised it. I might just go look for it at the weekend. God I love Govinda's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

lol I was thinking the same thing, planning an exploratory trip tomorrow ! :)

It's interesting, I can't think of any other city in Europe (the (western) world?) that has three Govindas... wow ! :D
    (I think some places like Prague have two)

Went in this evening, it's a lovely little place, very bright (I think the lighting in the Aungier st. branch can be a bit gloomy sometimes).

I think it was a good move to go more towards the take-away style, at least they should get a lot of office workers from the area at lunchtime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All we have is a stall in galway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

perhaps i shall verture to the govindas in abby st someday. do they label dishes as veggie/vegan or whatnot, or just display ingredients? am curious.

• Advertisement

Not really, they just have "vegan on request" for some of the stuff like veggie burgers in the menu.
    They don't list classifications like Cornucopia for example, but I'm sure they could tell you whatever's in something, I occassionally see people asking the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

i work near baggot st and noticed the new govinda's yesterday. as a newly formed vegan i thought i could only eat the veggie burger and the samosas. but the girl serving (very helpful and friendly) explained that every day they have at least 3 of the five salads vegan, and one or two of the veg subji dishes.:D
    you just have to ask which ones are which. also something else that suprised me greatly was that the rice and dahl don't contain ghee and are also vegan. they are made with only veg oil. i don't get why they don't put that up on a notice board. it would be so handy. i must suggest it next time.

now if only they made a vegan lassi i would never eat anywhere else ever again!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

I've been to the new one a good few times already. It's not as homely as the one on Abbey St, where I feel prefectly comfortable sitting and reading for a wile after I've eaten, but the staff are lovely, and I already feel like a regular! The paneer there is really good, and the pea daal is quite a tasty alternative to lentils. I'm very impressed overall.
    All we have is a stall in galway. :)

I just posted a thread about this! Could you please please tell me what days it's open! As far as a know, it isn't everyday, but I'm staying in Carraroe for a week soon and last year all I was fed was deep fried bean burgers... DISGUSTING! I spotted the Govinda's stall at the weekend, and it was a life saver! I had never been so happy to have a kitchri in my life! I love Govinda's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Open saturday and sunday at the market.
    Think that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

was in there the other day, very nice, i think the last time i'd been in abbey street they were just about to close for the evening and the food was poor, but this one was great, agree the paneer was fantastic, got a huge plate of delicious food for 9.50 which isn't far off what you'd pay for soup and a sandwich.

I've started a new job this week and I've realised that this covindas is 10 minutes walk away! Score!

It's smaller than the others and I don't think it's as good, but It'll certainly do! Is it just me or is it a bit more expensive than the others?

Can someone tell me: is it paneer they sell in the every day dish or is it tofu? I heard somebody order paneer today.

It's paneer, I've never seen them have tofu.

That's unbelievable. All this time I thought it was tofu! I've had paneer before and I've have tofu before. I have to say the Govindas paneer is much more like tofu than it is paneer!

We're definitely talking about the same thing, the cubes of stuff in the yummy tomato sauce? :)

I guess I haven't tasted other paneer that much, but yeah it's kinda similar...

Yeah we're talking about the same stuff! It's really good either way! I'll ask the next time I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Nature Boy wrote:
    Yeah we're talking about the same stuff! It's really good either way! I'll ask the next time I'm in

It's definitely paneer. They lightly fry it though, which is probably why it seems different. Any time I've gone to an Indian restaurant and ordered paneer, it's not been fried. I think it's a lot nicer fried.

I love paneer. I've made it myself a few times, but it does take a lot of time. Well worth it.

Advertisement