Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Installing optical mods..

Options
  • 09-02-2007 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just bought a 01 Honda Civic 5dr - not the hatchback before you ask...dunno if it matters though.

Was wondering how to go about installing the various 12v optical mods into the car. Like glowing gear knobs/footwell areas/handbrake covers and illuminated pedals, click to see what i'm looking at.

What kind of wiring is involved - what would I need?

edit: Also was looking at something like this - any ideas if it will fit on my car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

hey,
    Ya you shoud have no troube fitting any 12v supply stuff to your car. take for instance fitting a LED gear know, you'll get it with two wires hanging out of it right. usually one red and one black. red being positive and black being negative. Note that these colours maybe different, in that case just look to the manufacturers fitting instructions.

First of all get your black wire, negative. This wire basically can be fitted to any bare metal area of the car (make sure you scrape away the paint from the area you are going to attach it because paint is not a good conductor of electricity)
    Secondly the red wire (+) is the is live wire. it needs to be fitted with a fuse inline and wired into an ignition power supply (power supply that is only live when the ignition is on, you don't want the lights on all the time)
    You will find an ignition power supply beind your radio, supplying the radio or you will have to find one behind the fuse box.
    You will need a multimeter for this.

Basically that is it. It may be easier if you took it to an auto electrician who could wire it up in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it's not a hatchback, where's the 5th of the 5 doors?

The various parts will have fitting instructions on them, and as they are low power, won't require any beefing up of your cars wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

colm_mcm wrote:
    If it's not a hatchback, where's the 5th of the 5 doors?

The various parts will have fitting instructions on them, and as they are low power, won't require any beefing up of your cars wiring.

ever heard of "liftback" ;)

Advertisement