Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment heating (electrical) and water heating help please

Options
  • 09-02-2007 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Moving into a new apartment over the weekend and I still haven't got around to working out how the heating works.

I understand the electric radiators obviously, turn them on as you want the heat and to whatever level - easy.

The storage heaters of which there's 2. One of them can also be used as an instant electric rad, it has 2 switches. The other is storage only. What is the best way to use these? Are they cheaper than the instant heat from the normal electric rad?

Now for heating water what's the scenario? There's a switch on/off. There's a booster. There's a timer clock too. There might be another dial aswell. What's the most economical way to use these so as there's water for a shower in the morning, and to wash dishes etc in the evening?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

podge018 wrote:
    The storage heaters of which there's 2. One of them can also be used as an instant electric rad, it has 2 switches. The other is storage only. What is the best way to use these? Are they cheaper than the instant heat from the normal electric rad?!

Storage heat is cheaper, you're charged the night rate tariff, which is about half the standard rate. Turnm one or two of the storage heaters on so that when you're home in the evening it's tolerable with a sweater on. You may need to fiddle with the inpout/output selectors on the heaters. You should only need the boost (2nd switch) function on the odd day to increase the temp for a few hours.
    podge018 wrote:
    Now for heating water what's the scenario? There's a switch on/off. There's a booster. There's a timer clock too. There might be another dial aswell. What's the most economical way to use these so as there's water for a shower in the morning, and to wash dishes etc in the evening?

Set the timer to come on about 5am, and off about 8am. This should give a full tank of hot water. Even after your morning showers there'll be plenbty of water left for the evening. In fact if your out the door befopre 8am, the water will have had a chance to heat back up anyway. You should only need the boost if you've run the washing macine/diswasher/ had a load of extra showers in the middle of the day etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

okay so do I leave the storage heaters on all the time then or what? They have to take in heat right? Im guessing they need to be on to do this.

And how do I set the on at 5am and off at 8am. Is that easy to do? Does it say "on" and I turn the clock to 5 and "off" and I turn it to 8?

Sorry, I really am clueless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watch yourself with the storage heaters - I know several people who've found them actually very expensive to run. the night rate is cheap, but you pay a higher standing charge and if you're not in the apartment during the day you may not benefit from the stored heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi Guys,

I live in an Apt with storage heating/instant heating as described above...

Using the storage heating doesn't make any sense, unless you or someone is going to be there all day long and can take advantage of the heat produced by them. Basically they will heat up at night time on the cheaper tarrif, and give off heat the next day, but if no one is going to be there, there's no point..

luckily most appartments are very well insulated, and also as you have people above/below/beside you it takes very little to heat your space ( very little heat gets lost ).. for example i came home an hour ago from work, and wouldn't dream of putting on any heat,it's grand ( sittin here in a shirt! ).... most houses would be freezing without the heating on today.. .we just you the instant heating when we need it....

D

Advertisement