Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blossom

Options
  • 09-02-2007 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

So..
    I had this in a restaurant last night and i have no idea what type of fish it is..
    anyone? it kinda looked like cod/coalie... im sure one of you sea guys can help me out..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

blossom is a fish mongers name for pollack. got this from a taxi driver who used to be a monger. fish subject came up when he seen the boat outside the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

cheers!
    pollack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

I love the way people trying to sell you something will put a fancy name on it to make them sound more attractive. Rock Salmon = Dog fish.

The British goverment are past masters of renaming places that have become an embarassment. Remember when Windscale became Sellafield and Long Kesh became the Maze Prison etc.

Murt

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

adonis wrote:
    So..
    I had this in a restaurant last night and i have no idea what type of fish it is..
    anyone? it kinda looked like cod/coalie... im sure one of you sea guys can help me out..

What did it taste like? How was it served? Pollack is a tasteless fish if you just fry it.

A West Cork fisherman told me years ago that they used to bleed live coalies to make them taste better — slash them on the backbone just above the tail and let the blood out. However, being older and wiser, I don't believe you can bleed anything, whether a fish or a mammal, by slashing it there. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Michael G wrote:
    What did it taste like? How was it served? Pollack is a tasteless fish if you just fry it.

dunno why you say its tasteless.. it actually has a very nice taste no matter how cooked (as long as it is cooked and not cremated/incinerated)

i know of some places that sell pollock off as cod, most people cant tell the difference..

but god forgive the poor sucker that tries to do that to me, i'm not as forgiving :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement