Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling son that he's getting a half brother/sister.

Options
  • 09-02-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I have a seven year old son from a previous relationship. My current girlfriend is 26 weeks pregnant :D and my son is starting to notice. He's 7 years of age and when he stays with me at the weekends, it's more or less "me and him". Now that there is a new baby coming along I feel that he might get jealous. His mother has to more boys from her husband and he gets on great with them, (well he does live with them). But I think it might confuse him if he has another brother/sister living with Daddy.

How do I go about telling him about the baby without making a "big deal" out of it?

Please Help!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe creep up on the subject - read lots of stories to him about happy families of brothers and sisters until he's going "Hey, why don't *I* have any brothers and sisters living with me? That sounds like fun!" Let him persuade you into the whole thing! Then reluctantly give in... "Well... if you really think so...?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

He already has two brothers living with him (with his mother). Myself and my girlfirend have bought a house and the new baby will be living with us and he will be staying at the weekends. My conundrum is, that he might feel left out with a new baby around in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is something that you will have to get him used to slowly.

I would suggest that you invovle him as much as possible in the changes that will be happening in your home, ie getting the house ready for baby, sorting out the baby's room. helping him pick things out that his new brother or sister might like.

You could ask him if he would like a sister as he does not want one and see what the reaction would be and then say that you may try and see about getting him one.

He may also need reassureance that his time iwth you wil not change that much that you and he will still have your time togheter and trips out or going for whalk or what ever it is you do to spend Dad time with him.

This is also a disscussion what you will have to have with your current partner that while you will love your new child that you son will still have to have his dad time but hopefully it will work out well for you all and you son will feeled loved and blessed with two families.

Advertisement