Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing question

Options
  • 09-02-2007 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have purchased a car in the UK and will most likely be bringing it over on Monday.

I have rang my insurance company and there will be no problems switching my insurance. I will, however, have no insurance disc - will this be an issue?

One thing - I just realised my drivers licence address is different to the one I gave the dealer. Is this likely to cause any problems with customs/police should I get stopped?

Also what's the story with tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

TKK wrote:
    I have purchased a car in the UK and will most likely be bringing it over on Monday.

I have rang my insurance company and there will be no problems switching my insurance. I will, however, have no insurance disc - will this be an issue?

One thing - I just realised my drivers licence address is different to the one I gave the dealer. Is this likely to cause any problems with customs/police should I get stopped?

Also what's the story with tax?

As long as your covered, insurance disk wont be a problem.

The address is off no relevance.

You need to tax the car after you VRT it. You have 24 Hrs to pay the VRT and 3 days after that to display the plates.

X.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. Get a fax detailing the change in ins. Also keep a copy of the cert. of permanent export.

2/. No issue there afaik.

3/. If there's no UK tax on it now it is an offence to drive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I know the tax stuff for once I get it here - it's the UK tax requirements I was wondering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

I know when we imported a car from the UK the insurance co. sent us an interim disc (one month cover is all) with the UK reg plate number on it.
    Then once we got the Irish plates we contacted em and they sent us a new disc with the dates for the rest of the policy as normal and the new reg number.

Advertisement