Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chorus Offer

Options
  • 09-02-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Did any of you here in Cork get that mailshot from Chorus in your letterbox yesterday with that new deal?
    Broadband AND digital TV for 9.99 euro per month total (for six months)

Seems to me to be an incredibly low price. And the TV package seems better than the Sky basic package ( Discovery, History, Biography etc) Any views?

But, do any of you at present have Broadband from Chorus and how do you feel about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Friend has the 6mb line from Chorus for broadband and is delighted although the speed does drop a small bit at times. But it is great and he would reccomend it. I would change over except the broadband and talk package with BT is very good value for us at the minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't know anything about their broadband but Chorus' television service is pretty legendary for poor service. I'd imagine that this is a desperate attempt to stop a flood of people to Sky since they got Channel 4 - the last thing that was keeping a lot of people with Chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Thank you DJ and Padraig for your replies.

Yeah Padraig, I take on board about the poor and inconsistent service with the Chorus TV service. I used to be a subscriber up to about ten years ago and finally gave up on it for that reason (breakdown in service). But, now from what I've heard from a few friends is that since it went digital a coupla months ago is that breakdown in feed is non-existent. I dunno.
    And DJ's mate seems to have no complaints re the broadband.

Just that when I add it up the 9.99 for all-in (broadband and TV) compared to the total for line-rental; another monthly payment of (say) 25.00 for broadband alone; and then Sky subscription of another 24.99 all added together is very favourable.

I think I'll try it. Hell, 9.99 for the six months - small risk - I can walk away from it after that if it is not satisfactory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 legalimmigrant

We've had the digital tv package for about a year. It's dropped out about twice in that time, which is no worse than any other cable I've seen.

Distressingly limited number of channels on it, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

I looked at the Broadband offer some months ago and as far as I can recall the download limits were very low. Exceeding the limits also incurred a heavy surcharge. Not sure if this has changed but it something to watch out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Very interesting, Lionheart.

And that prompted me to have a look at the (very) small print at the bottom of the promotional literature:
    Monthly data usage is capped at 16Gb per month if you upgrade to the 2Mb package ( 5 euro extra per month )
    The cap is 40Gb per month if you upgrade further to the 6Mb package (20 euro extra).
    However if you take just the very basic package (9.99 for TV and 1 Mb broadband together ) the limit is as low as 2Gb per month.

So, on reflection, I think I would be going for the 2 Mb deal at 16Gb cap for a fiver extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

"The monthly data usage" - is that both download and upload? If so, you would need to take that into account or you could be hit with the excess charge which I'm sure is set at a very penal rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Is chorus available in Midleton? Including Broadband? Am moving to Midleton in a few months and broadband via cable is appealing...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had Chorus 'Digital TV' in a house I rented a few years back. I almost cried every single month when they'd take their 30 Euro, the service was so bad. Shocking selection of channels, and the image on screen would constantly breakup, and show evidence of ghosting, and mpeg tiling. The box itself was slooooow to change channel info on the bottom of the screen, and the staff were clueless. I had 8 engineer visits, and 3 different boxes, and their answer at the end of it all was "Not sure what else we can do, but it happens to a lot of people".

Advertisement