Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap motherboard required

Options
  • 09-02-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,
    My pc of a few years is causing problems. Ive diagnosed that its the motherboard that needs replacing. Because the chip/memeory is old Im unsure if any of todays motherboards for sale on komplett.ie etc would be ok.
    My requirement of the motherboard is that it will take the following
    1.5 gb ram (1 x 1gb, 2x256mb of pc2100 ddr ram)
    Amd athlon 2000 chip
    1 agp graphics card
    2/3 pci slots for cards

Any idea's on a cheap motherboard I could buy?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Your systems uses what's called Socket A for AMD Athlon XP CPU's.

Unfortunately socket A boards are no longer sold in the big retail sites these days though you can find them on eBay and other channels.

An alternative & reasonable cheap upgrade would be something like this motherboard & CPU which supports all of your existing hardware RAM, AGP graphics, 3 PCI slots (Only 2 DIMM slots present on board though so you currently have 3 DIMM's but can only use 2).

Though keep in mind the socket 754 platform is nearing the end of it's life so you would be buying into that but if you don't really care too much it is a decent buy for €90.

There is one more option this motherboard which uses socket AM2 the current standard for AMD CPU's but also supports AGP & PCI, however this board requires DDR2 RAM to operate so you would need to buy that as well as a new CPU still it would be a sizeable step up in performance (but you may not need that).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Thanks for your response.
    The pc will be my backup pc so I don't want to spend much on it.
    Only plan is to replace the motherboard, and not upgrade the system.
    Ive tried ebay.ie but postage cost are very high for motherboards. Ill look again.
    Even a second hand one would do the job.
    I might try to post in the wanted section in adverts.ie

Advertisement