Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to configure PC to allow incoming remote Desktop?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Pretty much as the title says!!

What do I need to configure on my PC to allow incoming Remote Desktop connections.
    I have the Eircom Netopia router and I am using Sygate Personal Firewall instead of the XP firewall.

I understand that I need to forward port 3389 on my router. I think I have that sorted. (If anyone can confirm the process that would be cool)

I just need to know what i need to setup in Sygate (advanced rules etc?)
    How can I setup it up to always accept remote desktop connections as there will be no-one at my pc to accept it manually

All help and advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Forget remote desktop and use LogMeIn (www.logmein.com). It's free and a doddle to use. My tuppence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

On the PC: My Computer / Properties / Remote and tick to allow remote desktop. It's also a good idea to specify a local admin account to always grant access to.
    The rule on your firewall would be similar to the port forwarding on your router (I don't use Sygate so I can't advise on the specifics). You want to allow traffic to (whatever your client PC internal IP is, I advise making it static and only allowing this specific connection) port 3389 from Any source. Be aware though this is one hell of a security hole, it's a common port to scan and attempt to exploit. You could try setting up a VPN instead/aswell but that adds a fair amount more complexity, you might be better off going with a 3rd party option (as suggested previously) but make sure it is reputable and encrypted.

Advertisement