Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP pro on dual core....

• 09-02-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Vista is almost here and I am about ready to build myself a new pc. However, I sort of want to stick with xp pro (better the devil you know and all that).

I plan on getting the Intel Core Duo 6420 when they release it but I'm stuck on a newbie question that I am having trouble finding a clear answer to:

Will XP Pro , 32 bit edition work on a dual core CPU?
    will it reduce the ability of the CPU?
    will it utilise the dual cores properly?

would I be better looking about for a 64 bit version of XP?

any links to clear articles would be appreciated as well as any advice you can give. meanwhile, I'll bury myself in google...

found what I need (will post links in a bit) but opinions still appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

XP will work no problem on a dual core CPU.

XP Pro is the only version of XP that recognizes/supports a dual core but they will all work on it.
    The core 2 duo chips are still really fast and XP runs perfect on them.
    TBH I think the 64bit Windows still hasn't come in to its own and there is no no real speed improvement plus with the added drag of finding 64bit drivers for all the devices, I don't think its worth it for the average Joe

However XP Pro does not utilize the 2 cores instead it is up to the individual programs if they use the 2 cores as far as I'm aware.

Vista however does make use of dual core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

XP home supports dual core. XP home does not support dual sockets.

If you're going to get 64bit, then you're better off with Vista 64bit, as it will actually get alot of drivers. However you do not need 64bit for a 64bit CPU (which is a mistake all novices seem to make).

I use 64bit Vista at the office, on a GX620, and it supports all hardware, at home though i'll have to wait till it supports:

Geforce 8800
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Habu Mouse
    Logitech webcam

so I could be waiting a few months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm using XP Pro here on my Core 2 Duo and it works fine.
    However XP Pro does not utilize the 2 cores instead it is up to the individual programs if they use the 2 cores as far as I'm aware.
    Not necessarily - the scheduler will assign different threads to the different cores whenever possible, so it's still great for multitasking. Great for Folding@Home too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I have an Athlon AM2 dual core chip and I find Windows XP performance to be pretty lousy. :<

Advertisement