Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent synchromesh?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

For those of you that remember from last week - I went with the Hyundai Accent in the end.

However, I'm finding that I'm having big problems changing into 2nd gear, especially down from 3rd, but also up. It doesn't "crunch" as such, but it's damned hard to get into place, and once or twice hasn't "caught" properly. My mother took the car out and said she had no problems and I just needed to get used to it and stop forcing the gears, but I *know* it's not that. I''ve never had the problem in any of the other cars I've occasionally driven (as opposed to regularly driven)

Having looked a bit on a Hyundai-specific forum (where I figured requests for help with Accent problems would be less likely to be met with responses of "Get a different car" :P) someone there had a similar problem and the "synchromesh" was suggested as the culprit (that's in quotes not to indicate that I don't think it's a real thing, but to indicate that I'm parroting something I read, as I've never heard of a synchromesh, know nothing about gears or any other mechanical bits and don't know any more than a very quick Google can tell me).

Now I know obviously that no-one here can tell me whether or not my problem is synchromesh-related (as I said, it's not crunching/grinding as such, it just won't bloody go smoothly) and I'm not looking for a diagnostic (though, y;know, if any of ye lived in Killester and fancied coming and having a look ;) <j/k>). What I'd just like to know is if changing the synchromesh on one particular gear is possible, or if it's a whole-gearbox change, and what the cost is likely to be. Is it an expensive part to get, and is it a tricky job for a mechanic to do (thereby incurring higher labour costs)?

Also whether or not the trader - who I eventually managed to wrangle a 3-month warranty on "engine and gearbox" from - would be able to legitimately claim that this wasn't covered, as it's wear and tear, despite the fact that I only bought the car on Monday and have only driven it 3 times since then and so wear and tear or not it certainly isn't me who "wore and tore" it.

Anyway, you guys have generally been very helpful in the past (I still regret not buying the Alfa 146, despite the fact that I know it was the right thing to do because I can't be trusted to give sufficient TLC) so any advice or suggestions you can offer would be much appreciated.

Ta :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Go straight back to the dealer---should be covered

Are you only having trouble changing down gears?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Mike07 wrote:
    Go straight back to the dealer---should be covered

Are you only having trouble changing down gears?

See, he wasn't a "dealer", as such, he was a "trader" (his words). He mainly trades to the big dealers (he's one of 3 traders that E.P. Mooney will deal with, for example) and doesn't often sell to the public at all. Which does kind of make me wonder why none of his dealers wanted to take this car, but how and ever. Too late now.

Biggest difficulty is changing down gears, but it's not great changing up either. Getting into 1st isn't brilliant either, but not as consistently difficult as 2nd.

There's also an incredibly irritating "buzz", vibration sort of thing whenever the accelerator is half depressed as opposed to fully depressed (ie, most of the time you're driving), but I was told that's just a fault of many Accents, and that I had to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

if he gave you a written warrenty then it should be covered and it could be that the car was too dear to trade as in he payed too much to trade it to another dealer no dealer will buy a car that is too dear for them to sell on did he say he sell to ep mooney or buys from them

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

if he gave you a written warrenty then it should be covered and it could be that the car was too dear to trade as in he payed too much to trade it to another dealer no dealer will buy a car that is too dear for them to sell on did he say he sell to ep mooney or buys from them

He sells to E.P. Mooney, having picked up the cars all over the city from people who are selling. That's what I have from his father, who was the person who actually completed the transaction and hand-wrote the warranty (and who'd been in the business himself before retirement).

Guess I'll just have to contact Tiernan again himself and try my luck. Might see if I can get my own mechanic to give me a diagnosis first though. I know the car's only just been serviced (by the main Fiat service crowd, whoever they are) so he may try to get out of it if they didn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Accent gearboxes are generally straight forward jap-style affairs, and getting in and out of gerars shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement