Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it in Ireland's best interest to beat Wales?

• 09-02-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭

One of the best days of my life was standing in the West Stand in 2001 and feeling very proud and priveliged to have witnessed one of the greatest performances by an Irish team ever as we beat a star studded Dutch team 1-0 on the way to qualifying for the WC in 2002. Contrast that to the last 2 away games with a thrashing in Cyprus and a lucky win in San Marino, I was embarrassed by the performance of the players and the manager. It seems despite the reaction that Stan and Delaney are here to stay. I never want to see Ireland lose, but the players are bound to react (if they have any balls) to the negative reaction, just like they did in the last 8 minutes when they collectively thought Jaysus were gonna get slaughtered for this back home, and if we win you can just see Father DougalStan standing there saying I told you so etc, and we will be stuck with him forever. Whereas if we lose and the crowd turn on him it might get through to his and Delaney's 10ft cranium thick skulls that they are not up to the job and maybe he will walk(not guaranteed either).
    I honestly don't know what is best here so i'll try and do a poll and if it doesn't work maybe someone else can do it.

Is it in Ireland's best interest to beat Wales? 47 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 47 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

If we win or lose it wont change anyones opinion on the quality of the management team, it is obvious Staunton is out of his depth and beating a average Wales team wont change that.
    Win Win Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Can't believe a post of this sort would be posted.

To think you spent valuable time to create it.

Cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

It's definitely in Irelands best intrest to win regardless of what needs to be done on the managerial side. A win would keep us in contention in the group with a real chance of qualifying. Yes were playing the worst football of the last 10 years Yes Staunton looks like he hasnt a clue but we have a chance of qualifying. 3 points behind the top 2 with Germany to come to Croker and a double header against the Slovaks. 2nd place is automatic qualification. The top 2 will take points of each other so we have to just keep on wining even it means playing ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There's only 2 options in that poll. Where's the "pointless thread" option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Ok maybe I didn't explain it well if we win against Wales Stan stays our remaining 6 games are Slovakia Home,Slovakia Away,Czech Rep Away,
    Germany Home, Cyprus Home,Wales Away. Under the current regime I would be confident of about 5 points, overall total 15 points. If we lost and he went a new man could come in and we could pick up 9, 11 points and end with a total of say 16, 18 points, in a better position for the future. Does anyone believe we can qualify for Euro2008 and WC2010 under the present management structure? If people thinks its pointless don't reply to it and let it die the death that some people think it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nonsensical stupid thread, which can only have ben posted in a shortsighted thought.

Of course it is in the best interests to beat Wales. Ireland will not qualify for Euro 2008 regardless, but if ireland were to lose more games, the co-effiecient for the next qualification would be lower, therefore meaning a tougher group again.

I would have thought that would have been obvious??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

patmac wrote:
    If we lost and he went a new man could come in and we could pick up 9, 11 points and end with a total of say 16, 18 points, in a better position for the future.
    What has happened in the recent past that has made you think that if the FAI were to get rid of Stan they would then employ a "World Class" manager to get us out of a hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

best thread ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

woodyg wrote:
    It's definitely in Irelands best intrest to win regardless of what needs to be done on the managerial side. A win would keep us in contention in the group with a real chance of qualifying. Yes were playing the worst football of the last 10 years Yes Staunton looks like he hasnt a clue but we have a chance of qualifying. 3 points behind the top 2 with Germany to come to Croker and a double header against the Slovaks. 2nd place is automatic qualification. The top 2 will take points of each other so we have to just keep on wining even it means playing ****e!

Whatever you're on I want some. With Stan in charge I'm going to need it and more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I can see where you are coming from OP but as an Irish fan there is no way I could ever wish the team loses.

If this team cannot lift themselves after that disgrace on Wednesday, for the first game of soccer in Croke Park in front of 70,000 fans then not only should Staunton go, but so should Keane as captain and a number of the other established players because they obviously do not rate playing for their country an honour and privilage.

I wonder is Stan a member of FF cause they are the only crowd now that could make a bigger mess of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

what a stupid question. its in every teams best interests to win all their games regardless of what dope is the coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

evad_lhorg wrote:
    what a stupid question. its in every teams best interests to win all their games regardless of what dope is the coach.
    I'm getting a lot of stick for starting this thread so far 4 people and I'm not one of them have said it is not in our best interest to win the game. Any victory would be good but will also be tempered by the fact that the manager will survive until the next disaster which will come sooner rather than later. Is their any outcome to the Wales match that will see Ireland win and Stan go? Something like Wales hitting the post 10 times completlely outclassing us and we sneak a winning goal in the 5th minute of injury time, you'd still have Delaney and Stan saying we won didn't we, were 3rd in the group etc.
    Unfortunately as the OP the thread also became pointless when Bazmo pointed out that if Stan goes the FAI are unlikely to appoint a world class manager, all pretty depressing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I want us to win every game we ever play and it's always going to be in our best interest to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Sure, in my opinion if we throughly deserve the win fair enough, but it wont cover over the chasms in stans manager career

So yeah, Ireland all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

so you mean should we sacrifice this campaign in the hope that the FAI can appoint a better manager? not sure, but i voted yes.

do we even know he'll defo be gone if we crash and burn this campaign? THATS the worrying part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

do you really think Ireland will qualify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gandalf wrote:
    TBH I can see where you are coming from OP but as an Irish fan there is no way I could ever wish the team loses.

19% ofthe "fans" seem to disagree.

tbh the SM fallout has seen some of the most treasonous, shameful things said. Is it in Irelands best interest to beat Wales? Its in Irelands better interest if those who want Wales to win never watch a match again. Fact is we are in with a chance, albeit slim, of qualifying. There is simply no way we can replace Stan right now with the world class manager everyone is demanding. We are stuck with the current set up and we have to roll with it. Certainly if we did qualify Id want him out before the actual tournament, but right now its not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Pity our players don't do what the French did at the World Cup and by just ignoring the manager and taking over the running of the side themselves. That said tho there's no leaders on the pitchas well as off so it probably wouldn't make any difference.

I hope we win tho just for Stan. He always looks like the happiest boy in the sweetshop whenever we're doing well. Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

3rd/4th place isn't beyond us in this group so of course a win would benefit our co-efficient ..... Nobody wanted Staunton but he is here , we knew he would fook up but he is here. Only positive i can see from his tenure is we play in the
    'amateur' sports 80,000 capacity stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

Of course it's NOT in our interest to beat Wales. I want Stan out, we need Wales to beat us at home to surely rid us of the clown. It's not like we're going to qualify anyway, the sooner he goes the sooner we can get a proper manager.
    There is absolutely no advantage to having Stan stay any longer, none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

People seem more interested in getting their pound of flesh off Staunton or Keane than actually winnining games. To have such a negative attitude helps no one, winning or losing against Wales wont change peoples minds on Staunton, it is obvious that we have already made our minds up after recent performances and should now concentrate on geting the best out of our remaining games.
    People seem to be too wraped up and nostalgic in past success, all we can try and do is improve and get some results for everyones sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

This is a stupid thread. Anyone (and be anyone I mean any Irish person) who wants Ireland to lose should be banned imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I want Delaney out more than I want Stan out so I suppose I should want to see Ireland struggling along the odd 0-0 and 1-0 victories playing shocking football till even the prawn sandwich brigade realise Delaney must go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't see Delaney ever sacking his friend so I think Delaney has to be gone if we want rid of Stan. I can't imagine Celtic's CEO Peter Lawwell having the power to sack Strachan. International football must be a lot different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> Is it in Ireland's best interest to beat Wales?

Of course its in our best interests. Ireland now need to aim for a 3rd place and hope to get 3rd seeding (Pot D) for the next qualification which is for the World Cup.

We (Ireland's fans) are our own worst enemies. McCarthy has a bad start to a qualification campaign, which pales in comparison with the likes of a 5-2 loss against Cyrpus, yet the majority call for his head. Kerr his replacement misses out on qualification barely, albeit lacking lustre, and he is sent packing. Staunton is barely there and the posse is out again.

Some of those complaining want a 'top-class' manager which would require a lot of money, yet the same people give out about the price of their tickets to matches, etc.

You cant have it all ways ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

yet the same people give out about the price of their tickets to matches

Sorry, but in all fairness, the prices for tickets are pretty damm high, similar to that of England, and they can afford to pay one of the most expensive managers in football (Sven). The issue is not over increase in ticket prices, it is to do with an inept FAI.
    I didn't call for McCarthy's head, I wasn't happy with Kerr at all, and was happy to see him go, but looking back on it all, I don't think a single person would have called for Kerrs head had they known Stan was going to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't imagine Celtic's CEO Peter Lawwell having the power to sack Strachan. International football must be a lot different.

International Football is a lot different. As such, Delaney is not a CEO of a company that can be sold, bought, etc, like a football club. Its an association, and the Board gets selected as voted in by the members of the association. The Board selects the CEO. The CEO is an employee. A panel selects the Manager, and the CEO has a large day to day responsibility as well as other staff. (Note that players aren't paid, they volunteer). But due to the voting system, which is highly fragmented, it is heavily politicised. The FAI is like a Uefa.

Celtic on the other hand is owned by business people and is a company that can be bought and sold, and even closed down. The CEO is an employee. The Board is selected by the major Owners. Minority owners can have little say sometimes in companies, I have no idea what the situation is at Celtic in detail, but Dermot Desmond has the largest say at present. The Board selects the CEO, etc. Perhaps Lawwell has some ownership. But clearly, Dermot Desmond could sack Gordon Strachan tomorrow if he felt like it and was willing to pay his contract clause for his severance costs.

No doubt Staunton also has a severance clause.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yes. Beat Wales now.
    Beat Stan & FAI later.

Advertisement