Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline in Oulart, Wexford [Exchange-OLT]

Options
  • 09-02-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hello,

Thought this forum might be better to check if anyone knew anything about broadband coming to Oulart Exchange in Wexford [OLT].

It was on a published list to be completed August 06 I believe but never materialised, now it does not appear to be on the latest list either.

I'm doubtful of these lists in the first place so if anyone has any knowledge on this I'd appreciate it.

I have no LOS for any wireless as I'm right in middle of the village beside the Garda station, the exchange is 100meters away so my alternates are quite slim. Don't want to invest in satelite as it's too expensive and we want to use VOIP/Gaming.

There are a number of new housing estates in the area so I'm sure the take up would be significant as most of the occupiers are young families.

There was even a parlamentary question about it but the usual, not our problem speak to Eircom response ensued...

"....asked the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources when the phone exchange in Oulart and Ballaghkeen, County Wexford will be upgraded to be capable of providing a broadband service in the area; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [34454/06]..."

appreciate your responses.

regs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Oularts not on the list of 100 that are getting upgraded next. What list did you see ourlart on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Since you said list from august I thought it was a more recent one, Don't know that much about it but I'd guess it would be upgraded with the current list if it hasn't been done so already.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

I rang eircom about the Oulart exchange monthly from February-September last year. from february to August they kept telling me it would be done the next month but in september they told me it was not on the current list so I just stopped ringing them.

I wouldnt mind only an eircom rep said on south east radio in march (i think) last year that it was going to be enabled in april!:eek:

I was told by a reliable source it will be done March 07. But when I rang the 180050... number they said it was not on the list so I've gone back to confirm the original information. Still waiting..soon as I hear I'll post here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aideng

Since you said list from august I thought it was a more recent one, Don't know that much about it but I'd guess it would be upgraded with the current list if it hasn't been done so already.

Have you a link to the list of the next exchanges Eircon are going to upgrade?? Still waiting for Broadband in Kiltulla Exchange in Galway, not holding my breath. I'll probably go with a datacard from Vodafone if there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

pyzon wrote:
    I was told by a reliable source it will be done March 07. But when I rang the 180050... number they said it was not on the list so I've gone back to confirm the original information. Still waiting..soon as I hear I'll post here.

Weird, I heard on sunday that it was August 07. Looks like we are chasing our tails on this one.

aideng wrote:
    Have you a link to the list of the next exchanges Eircon are going to upgrade?? Still waiting for Broadband in Kiltulla Exchange in Galway, not holding my breath. I'll probably go with a datacard from Vodafone if there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005172 List is a few posts down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 drinksbud

Hello pyzon
    I live overlooking oulart and i get broadband over a wireless connection from networksandwireless.com. They could easily set you up by routing a signal off my house. The person you want is Mark Dunne and his number is on his web site. I had a pain waiting for the oulart exchange to be enabled so I went with the wireless option as I have great los into wex, ennsicorthy etc.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers drinksbud may end up down this route.

I heard today that it's on the list for March'07 and if this date falls through then your chimney may be my only hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Have you tried PermaNET? I guess probably if you have no LOS to wireless providors... The inlaws are just out of Ballaghkeen and have recently got this lot and are so far very pleased with it.

Yeah tried them, spoke to them, after explaining where I was I was told basically no chance, probably too far for a decent service and dodgy LOS if at all. It would cost to a LOS test otherwise if he was passing he would do so.

Drinksbud how is the service from networksandwireless like and is it possible to do what you suggest? do you see the garda station from where you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 drinksbud

Hello pyzon
    The service from networksandwireless is vgood presently. we have 2megs here and no cap on downloads. I can see the church in oulart and lots of houses from here no prob. If you go by parles tyres and take the first left at the y in the road and go to the top of the hill beside bramble photo you'll see the antenna.

sorry mods :/ I know this is a double post but I'm lost in bewilderment at the moment that my line has come up maybe suitable!! :E :E :E

So I'll just tag this onto the bottom of my original thread...(hope you don't mind)

OMG my line came up may be suitable just now!!!!!!! wwoooop wwooop...

Mine came up suitable. Just ordered 2mb service

guh i also ordered the 2MB service but my order is gone to some exceptions crew who will deal with it in within a 2 week period gugh guhg! then probably another 2 weeks to process the order!

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position any suggestions as to how to progress this, a possible retest and database update or something?

neighbors are suitable and all around the area, I had sky+ connected and digital phone, both disconnected now but i guess the database is not updated.

it's so close I can smell the burning bits and bytes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

NeoRox wrote:
    Mine came up suitable. Just ordered 2mb service
    2Mb is not a good idea as if your line is borderline and unstable on that speed to downgrade to 1Mb will actually cost you while if your line could take 1Mb you could upgrade to 2Mb for free.
    pyzon wrote:
    neighbors are suitable and all around the area, I had sky+ connected and digital phone, both disconnected now but i guess the database is not updated.
    Not so sure about the digital phone but I know Sky+ can definitively mess up your BB tests.

tks for the tips, I've disconnected my Sky+ box now, is there a way of getting a retest done, I've tried the 1901 and 1800503... route but they just put my number in their checker and see it's already a may be suitable...

I'm 100mtrs from the Exchange so if 2MB don't work I'm going back to dialup :rolleyes:

Does having a house alarm itself cause an issue? or is it if the alarm is monitored i.e. connected to the phone line? (I assume the latter, but a$$ and m3 etc...!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

pyzon wrote:
    tks for the tips, I've disconnected my Sky+ box now, is there a way of getting a retest done, I've tried the 1901 and 1800503... route but they just put my number in their checker and see it's already a may be suitable...
    The tests are automated and are carried out every month I believe, so you can't ask to be re-tested by the phone support.
    pyzon wrote:
    Does having a house alarm itself cause an issue? or is it if the alarm is monitored i.e. connected to the phone line? (I assume the latter, but a$$ and m3 etc...!)
    Yes, house alarms also cause line failures - you might want to pop into a computer shop like maplins and pick up some line filters but I'm not sure how helpful they would be in dealing with the line tests and alarms/Sky boxes.

hmmm !!

An Eircom sale guy was doing the rounds of the area the other night shortly after the exchange had been upgraded, probably trying to snap up unsuspecting customers who would not know they could use other BB service providers.

Smells a bit...shouldn't they have to tell other providers the exchange is upgraded or will be upgraded on date X so that all players can start on an even keel as it were?

Maybe they did and the competition isn't interested in Oulartians!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davemul

Lads, I am just outside Oulart, down by ballytarsna cross roads, anybody any idea when mine will be ready???

Thanks

Advertisement