Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio related question for pro video editors

• 09-02-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Hi, a quick question for pro video editors or other such professionals.

What is the accepted standard digital audio samplerate and bit depth for broadcast and the standard used by pro video soundcards/audio equipment? I think I heard somewhere that its 48kHz/24 bit but I'm not sure. Or is there more than one standard? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Audio broadcasts are usually at 44.1khz 16bit (this is what consumer CDs are). Pro audio recording on the otherhand depends on the preferences of the engineer recording and equipment used. 24 bit is standard these days and most engineers go as high with sample frequency as their software will allow them without eating up all their available hard drive space, 96khz is pretty standard though. It is then dithered down to what ever is needed during or after mixdown. This may vary when simultaneous audio video recording is case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

48Khz generally.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i'd agree on 48kHz for AES in TV broadcast as it matches up well for embedding the audio into the SDI stream which most broadcasters are doing now. It also fits in well with legacy analog audio too.
    24 bit is standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cool, thanks guys

Advertisement