Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frustrated about greystones

Options
  • 09-02-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello there,
    I feel like makeing my frustration public.I am nown as the "Pancake Lady":D from the Farmers Marked at the Meridian Point.Since last year I am attempting to get a nice spot for my lovely little Pancake Mobil..somewhere in Greystones at the habour, main road, park, rugby club, foodball pitch, tescos.I ve been pushed from Greystones TC over the Camber of commerce to Wicklow CC. to finde out, after serveral month ,that Greystones has no casual traiding , no were.mmmh ok:rolleyes: but i can trade on private property.So I tryed Tecos,they were frendly enough to give me a 2 days trail. I made it 1 day because the Copper Kettle complained.:mad: There was also a Habour Marked were i applied and the frendly old lady told me she coudl't have me there because her frend is selling cakes.:mad: A few weeks later they closed down because they coudl't get enough traiders to run the marked. Greystones Foodball Club proverbial kickt me off the feeld as i was trying to apply for a spot because i was a threat Coffee Van. :eek: And the Rugby Club cant agee if they want any kind of vendor there or not. My latest attempt was to rent a unit at the new development were the Theater is going to be. Also one of the main reasons is that my Pancakes woudln't agree with the Coffee Shop. I now for fact that within this year at least 2 places in Greystones will offer Crepes. I don't minde competition, but at least i want a chance to be a competitioner myselve. One fantastic Farmers Marked on Saturdays dosn't make my living. I realy don't get it. :confused: Why is there no support ?especially Greystones. Were ones glorify the local communety.

What do you think, any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

miriam wrote:

not being smart miriam, but that font colour is really difficult to read. people who might have something worthwhile to suggest probably won't bother reading.

when you say marked, do you mean market? or does that mean there is a spot marked out? Is there a small business dept. in the council who could help? or the enterprise board? I like pancakes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Totally agree about the font. I'll amend it myself!

As for the spelling. I hope the pancakes are better, OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 miriam

Hello tbh,
    thanks for your reply. Unfortunately if you pick a colour it dosn't show untill you post it. I wasn't aware that it would be that bright.:(
    I will try the enterprise board as well, but my guess is like all civil servants they will send me around and around.Anyway it is worth trying.BIG TKS

Mikedragon,
    thank you as well. But i would be a little bit more delicate with you comment on my spelling.You could hurt people. There is still a big population in ireland who cant spell properly but they try their best or they are foreigners who are trying their best as well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

mikedragon23

i think your comment was a little unfair to mirian. as she said, you don't know peoples circumstances. perhaps you should be a little more sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

knowing Mike (on the boards!) I'm sure all he meant was some light-hearted humour.

What about Charlesland? Not enough trade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Yeah I'm sure Mike wasn't trying to be harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Try trading outside the schools - you'd probably do really well if the pancakes are any better than the slop they're serving in the canteen in CCA in Kilcoole (wouldn't be hard...)

Did I forget a smiley?

Sorry all...

:( <
    See!

As a member of the Spell Czechs it is my moral duty to uphold all that is correct.

As for trading in Charlesland, I doubt if the lads in the Café would be too impressed with a rival on what is already a slow patch, regardless of whether or not they sell pancakes!

Casual trading in Greystones has always been restricted to the various festivals during the year, but I for one would be quite happy to see something like the OP's enterprise in the village. It would have a continental feel to it if one could stop for a pancake (or crepe!) on a walk through the village.

I'll pop by the Meridian tomorrow and swell her takings with some reconciliatory purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

I'll pop by the Meridian tomorrow and swell her takings with some reconciliatory purchases.[/QUOTE]

I am sure she will really appreciate that! :D

Hello all....

Mike were you the man who gave me 50 cent tip? or the man with the 1€?:D

I had a fantastic day today at the market.Because of my new plan of action. I put some idears you gave me together. I will offer my service for Kid's Partys and Events around Greystones.I will put up posters at schools, mabe they book me as well.That's it , i like that:D

Thank you all for reading and commenting my thread.:p xoxo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

I do not intend to offend anyone based on their spelling or computer skills.

You only had to post that once, love.

....aaaahh realy...you are very smart.:D do you realy think someone could be that stupid do something like this on purpose????Aparently is there some sort of error at my compter sys, has something to do with the keyboard.

Sorry Miriam, by the time I got around to the Meridian Centre, you'd closed and you were cleaning up, so I was neither of the generous souls you mentioned.

I'll try harder next week.

Your van is excellent by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Pancakes 'BIG ONE' is coming on Tuesday, Feb 20th. If you did an ice-cream van style run around Charlesland I'd be sure to pick up a pancake!
    Let us know if you're in the area that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

miriam wrote:

Try the GAA club, they seem to be fairly favourable towards facilitating local community groups & also have catered for the various circus groups and travelling amusements when no-one else could over the last few years. They are located behind/between rugby and tennis clubs & there appears to be activity there every day and evening. www.greystonesgaa.com

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

miriam wrote:

Yep - ask the lads in the Happy Pear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Allo Rickenback

Try talking to Supervalu. Their car park is theirs/private and they don't have any eateries to contend with like Tesco does.

However don't forget every other food outlet is paying huge rent for their premises and have tied themselves into binding leases. None of them will be happy to have what they would see as unfair competition in the form of a van that pays rent on a day to day basis and can pack up if business is poor. I'm not saying you aren't brave to do what you're doing but you need to understand that everyone really only cares about themselves and will only give you a break if it's going to benefit them.

Catering for kids parties is a great idea, as is a one day a week slot at a school - perhaps at 3pm so the parents will buy one for themselves as well. 5 4 primary and 1 secondary schools in Greystones/Delgany = 5 days a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Hi Miriam!I know u well.Absolutely love your pancakes,delighted to see you back at the Meridian market on Saturdays!Even better to see that you're now running it,BRAVO!:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

Why not go back to tesco and try them again now that the coffee shop is no longer there. You never know a lot can change in 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

To anyone that has not had the pleasure of Miriam's pancakes I have to say they are the best I have ever had!! I should know she "made" me eat large quantities of them when I did some work in her house!!

Best of luck Miriam!!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Hi Miriam

Best of luck with the new market on Saturdays. Pity about the Irish weather - Have you thought of (or is it possible ) covering in the centre for the day - I think it might be the only way to get people to stay for a while. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was wet and cold so nobody would hang around and days like that are so common from now on. Like the idea of having music.

Advertisement