Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy efficiency of CFLs

• 09-02-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Everyone seems to be promoting using CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs) instead of the usual tungsten filament (incandescent) bulbs in order to save energy. Surely incandescent bulbs release almost 100% of the electricity they consume as either light or heat, so if I converted my light bulbs to CFLs I would just have to turn-up the heating by the exact difference in energy comsumption between CFLs and incandescent bulbs, giving a net saving of zero?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Thats how I see it! Of course during the summer you won't want your heat to be on....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

But you don't need heating in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

The usual tungsten filament bulbs also emit large amounts of electromagnetic radiation _outside_ the visible range. This is essentially all wasted energy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah dammit I failed to read stereo_steve's reply properly. However Professor_Fink is indeed correct.

Also since people by and large won't turn their central heating thermostat down, it's still superflous heat - and watt per watt more expensive than burning the oil locally.

Hopefully in the near future LEDs will provide a decent amount of lumens to be a viable energy friendly alternative to incandescent bulbs while not giving out the harsh, horribe, horribe light the flourescents do...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could wear night vision goggles and save a whole lot on lighting ;)

Incandescent bulbs emit Infra-Red , say 50% of which goes to up the ceiling
    a lot of heat is given off by convection and most of that goes up to the ceiling too

so no you aren't loosing a lot of heat unless you have great insulation or a way of mixing the air so ceiling heat isn't wasted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement