Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My next door neighbour has broadband

Options
  • 09-02-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Im living 3 and half miles from a North Cork town (Mitchelstown) and had given up all hope of ever getting bb and low and behold my neighbour, 100 meters down the road from me, was made eligible and got it. Needless to say I tried the bb line suitability thing on Eircom and was told that my line was no good. I rang Eircom looking for clarification, was told to keep checking every month. What sort of time frame would be reasonable to expect that I may be eligible? Or does it work that way? Is their any way of finding out from Eircom the specific reason why I can't get bb and the probability of recieving it in the near future?

My only other option at this stage seems to be either a laptop datacard or Vodaphone broadband modem. For the latter I may or may not be within range, the map on the site doesnt have a scale to tell me for sure.
    I see were both were slated recently. Have the service improved? Which one is considered the better product?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

100m is close enough for a bit of internet sharing across wireless ,

as the test was recently relaxed a bit of dry weather may get you over the line for the pass .

borrow a 3g phone to see if you have a signal before signing up for a year or else get the 14 day trial that 3 offer with money back guarantee (unlike voda and o2)

finally, whats your dial up speed and what was your neighbours, if quite close ( eg 41k and 42k) then wait for eircom to relax the test again as they have done 3 times in the last year (May ish August ish and January ish)

if your dialup speed is now , however , 33k or less you will never get broadband because its crap or split and shared with someone or both. If you order a new line with bb in a bundle you could see if eircom will give you an unsplit line. do that by ordering the new line and bb BUNDLE on www.eircom.ie

By ordering the bundle its obvious that you want it for bb so they cannot split it , worth a punt for €129

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Thanks for the reply Bob.
    How do I find out the speed of my dialup connection?
    How do I find out if my line is split?
    How does wireless sharing work?

ps.im not really up to scratch with this stuff Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Sponge Bob wrote:
    100m is close enough for a bit of internet sharing across wireless ,

as the test was recently relaxed a bit of dry weather may get you over the line for the pass .

borrow a 3g phone to see if you have a signal before signing up for a year or else get the 14 day trial that 3 offer with money back guarantee (unlike voda and o2)

finally, whats your dial up speed and what was your neighbours, if quite close ( eg 41k and 42k) then wait for eircom to relax the test again as they have done 3 times in the last year (May ish August ish and January ish)

if your dialup speed is now , however , 33k or less you will never get broadband because its crap or split and shared with someone or both. If you order a new line with bb in a bundle you could see if eircom will give you an unsplit line. do that by ordering the new line and bb BUNDLE on www.eircom.ie

By ordering the bundle its obvious that you want it for bb so they cannot split it , worth a punt for €129

Vodafone also offer the 14 day no quibly money back policy, used it myself only last week.

Also OP, any chance your neighbour is on a different exchange ? I know my neighbour about 200m from me is, they can get BB and i cant ! You can check there number and yours here to find out what exchange you are on.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php

its the icon on the taskbar bottom right that blinks blue when you connect

hover mouse over it and it sez connected at 44k or similar

Sponge Bob wrote:
    its the icon on the taskbar bottom right that blinks blue when you connect

hover mouse over it and it sez connected at 44k or similar

:D what a donkey i am.
    42.6Kbps

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    Vodafone also offer the 14 day no quibly money back policy, used it myself only last week.

Also OP, any chance your neighbour is on a different exchange ? I know my neighbour about 200m from me is, they can get BB and i cant ! You can check there number and yours here to find out what exchange you are on.

Yeah same exchange. Is it the datacard or modem you received? Would you recommened it?

Well if the neighbour is deffo on the same exchange and passed I would consider you marginal by a netch only (42.6k at 3.5 miles is good )

The eircom line checker will tell you which exchange you are connected to , and him too if you know his number

your line is not split , I would see you passing eventually when they run their regular test after a period of dry weather :D

If you posted a year back sayin you were 3 miles out we woulda laughed at the idea of eircom passing you ..an ironic laugh mind....but the 3 relaxations of the test have now brought you within a whisker of passing .

If you disconnect sky boxes (notorious) and telephone gear or faxes for a month, bar whats essential, that may nudge you over as well , the tests are repeated about monthly .

If you disconnect that gear right NOW can you connect at 44k for example ?? uncle sam in this thread is a Corkman connected at 3.5miles ...funny that , ye might be neighbours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Yeah same exchange. Is it the datacard or modem you received? Would you recommened it?

It was the USB modem i got, no good where i was living though, can hardly pick up 1 bar on the 3g phone but said i would give it a go, nothing to loose, Vodafone have 130 of your euro for up to 14 days, if it is no good in that time bring it back and get a refund and it costs nothing ( although i did get a bill from Voda for 6.66 but a quick email got it sorted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Vodafone 3 g service is having major problems at the moment. three seem to have turned on their high speed system everywhere and you can get about 1.5mb download.

to check your actual download go to www.speedtest.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I share my DSL BB connection with my in-laws across the road and they've never had any problems. I'm using a regular Belkin wireless router but I imagine you'd need a mimo one for a distance of 100m. Maybe if you offer to pay half the cost your neighbor would be OK with sharing??

• Advertisement

mcaul wrote:
    Vodafone 3 g service is having major problems at the moment. three seem to have turned on their high speed system everywhere and you can get about 1.5mb download.

to check your actual download go to www.speedtest.ie

wrt to 3 data card.
    Ive a pc. Ive seen a link for an adopter that uses the cards with a pcbut cant find it. Do you know what these adopters are/cpst?
    Whats the connection like for real time games i.e. internet poker ect.
    I think iread that there is going a major upgrade in this type of technology due soon. Is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

digitaldr wrote:
    I share my DSL BB connection with my in-laws across the road and they've never had any problems. I'm using a regular Belkin wireless router but I imagine you'd need a mimo one for a distance of 100m. Maybe if you offer to pay half the cost your neighbor would be OK with sharing??
    But that's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

oleras wrote:

Hi!

This is a bit trickier than it seems. You see, it doesnt really matter if your nb is 100 m or 10m away from you. The copper pair might travel through a completely different way. I know of cases where the same person had two line on his house, one was 1,5 km from the exchange and the other 6.2km, unfortunately for him, broadband was placed on the wrong one... well at least he had an option, anyway, the fact that you might or might not get broadband could be related to many different things, a bridge tap, cross-coupled interference....

EIRCOM or any ISP will run what its called a prequalifying test, this will test Red/Amber/Green and if Amber/Green will also displayed your possible speeds.

Believe me I know how annoying that can be, its just a matter of time for EIRCOM to remove those obstacles that are preventing you from getting BB, its just a matter of time, the question is... how much time!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Skyuser wrote:
    But that's illegal.

Or just breaking the Terms and Conditions? Not the same thing as far as I know.

Advertisement