Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to configure PC to allow incoming remote Desktop?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Pretty much as the title says!!

What do I need to configure on my PC to allow incoming Remote Desktop connections.
    I have the Eircom Netopia router and I am using Sygate Personal Firewall instead of the XP firewall.

I understand that I need to forward port 3389 on my router. I think I have that sorted. (If anyone can confirm the process that would be cool)

I just need to know what i need to setup in Sygate (advanced rules etc?)
    How can I setup it up to always accept remote desktop connections as there will be no-one at my pc to accept it manually

All help and advice appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

same principle as bitcomet and its 3389 yes

make sure that the username that is allowed to come in is obscure and is password protected otherwise anybody will be able to RD onto your pc :D

nobopdy accepts anything

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you need a windows remote desktop client on a non-XP machine then try this http://www.cabaal.org/pub/tools/mstsc.exe

It doesn't install, just runs from exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    same principle as bitcomet and its 3389 yes

make sure that the username that is allowed to come in is obscure and is password protected otherwise anybody will be able to RD onto your pc :D

nobopdy accepts anything

Where can I set my username and password to allow remote desktop access or is it just my normal logon username and password?

I'm a bit clueless!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Usually that requires static ip addresses etc. Would www.logmein.com suit? You install the software on your pc, set up your password and you can access it through broadband from any computer that has a java enabled browser on it. It's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You will probably need to setup dynamic dns to access your pc aswell (Unless you have a static IP address)

One other thing to note is that you need to have Win XP pro or Server 2003. Windows xp home doesn't work as a RDP server without an addon (The one Cabaal posted should work)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MarkR wrote:
    Usually that requires static ip addresses etc. Would www.logmein.com suit? You install the software on your pc, set up your password and you can access it through broadband from any computer that has a java enabled browser on it. It's very handy.

yes its a lovely service however your agreeing to T&C's and essentially they'd have the right to login to your PC if they were asked for access by law enforcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

Just to confirm I have a static IP and I'm running XP Pro.

I have everything setup now i think except this username/password business.

If i connect remotely from work to my home pc how/where do i set a username and password to grant/deny access?

Advertisement