Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my car - Are those eejits still around?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

I will be selling my car very soon, *sniff* will be sad to see her go, however I am just curious if those scam artists that call you non stop about them "possibly having a buyer for me already" are still around.

If so I am very tempted to say "hang on just getting my card details" and then go watch tv and leave them waiting on the line until they hang up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 superape

indeed they are. You may get a few calls from a +44 number, and of course the over-zealous Carzone.ie sales reps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

So that what it was all about. I got several calls over christmas. I had both my car and the wifes in the Buy and sell. Found it strange that they offered me €100 less than the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

When i was sellingmine, they called i had read about it on the carzone.ie, so when the called they said about having a buyer in the UK etc... and that they'd offer 2-400 euro more than what i asked for as it was this specific model they wanted. So i played along anyway and they were ok fine but in order for us to put you in touch with a this seller its £100 fee, i was like "yes i have read about this scam on the carzone" and proceeded to hang up i got a call the next day from the same shower...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I got a phone call last year from one of these lot and yer one started off with the spiel. I interrupt her and said "listen, i've heard about your crowd and I want nothing to do with you".

I don't know what inspired her but she launched into the most spectacular knicker fit, telling me I was confusing them with another crowd who do they exact same thing (but are the real fraudsters, natch), accusing me of slandering the company and threatening me with all kinds of retribution. I laughed for a bit and then hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Are these scammers english or african/nigerian?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tetsuo_83

http://www.vehiclematch.org/

Couple of the numbers they use, and their website, so people can ignore, report, abuse them as they see fit!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

superape wrote:
    indeed they are. You may get a few calls from a +44 number, and of course the over-zealous Carzone.ie sales reps
    What are you talking about, Carzone sales reps don't call people....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I believe some of these companies give the misleading impression that they are in some way associated with Carzone.

steve06 wrote:
    What are you talking about, Carzone sales reps don't call people....

You seem pretty sure of that, but you're either misinformed or working for them. When I was selling my car in December I got a call from 2 separate Carzone goons, pitching their special bumper Christmas offer... I told the first one not to call again, then of course the following week I got another call. I had only advertised in Buy & Sell and Auto Trader.

Incidentally a work mate also got a call the same week after advertising elsewhere too.

Annnnnnyway.........

What was the special bumper Christmas offer out of interest?

• Advertisement

Not entirely sure... I didn't entertain him :rolleyes:

I would imagine in that case it was one of these scammers pretending to be associated with Carzone, that's something they do. "Hi, I'm from the Nissan Micra department, we have fifteen buyers at the end of your drive just salivating at the thought of getting their greasy hands on your banger. Just give me your credit card and for only 99 quid* we'll send them straight round."

*Sterling. Ex-VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yep they are around.my friends dad put a mec cls up on carzone for sale and in the morning he got a call fromt hese guys from the uk and said they had customers and they asked for a cedit card number.my friend just said give me your number and i will call you back :)
    some people really get caught up in this scam.

Advertisement