Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell.outlet: question re upgrading specs on lappie

• 09-02-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi, I can't seem to post in tech forum, keeps logging me out

was looking at laptops in dell outlet

not being very tech minded i was looking at those showing a video casd installed

my question if i opt for one of the cheaper laptop offers , with no video card listed, is it possible(and easy) to install one later, and if so what would you recommend , and what price are we talking about ?

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the price of doing it afterwarss afterwards is the killer, if you need 3d just get it now.

also note that one 3d card supplied by dell until recently (the x1200 or something) does not work with Vista apparently .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

In alot of laptops the graphics card comes as part of the motherboard so replacing the graphics card might involves replacing the motherboard, which is a slightly silly idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargain Alerts, if you are having difficulty accessing the forum let me know OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This spec is available right now at the Outlet:

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
    Inspiron 6400 (System Identifier. ZRTD4C9F)
    Inspiron 6400 Duo Processor T2050 (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    System Price EUR 707.00
    Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Memory: 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
    Hard Disk Drive: 80GB (5, 400 rpm) Hard Drive
    Video: 128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 graphics card
    NoteBook Screen: 15.4 Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT Display
    Modem: Internal 56K Modem
    DVD Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW
    Software: Microsoft® Works® 7.0
    English - Microsoft Works 8
    MISC: 65W AC Adapter
    NO SNAP COVER OPTION
    Corel Snapfire Starter Edition
    UK/Ire - Internal Keyboard
    Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI - 60 day trial
    6-cell , 53 WHr Li-Ion primary battery

The price would be €707 - €140 (current promotion) + VAT + delivery = €746

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads what about upgraing a graphic card in a 9400

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

For 99% of laptops. You can't upgrade the gfx. Where you can it makes no financial sense to do so. Buy the right machine, in the first place. Give Vista a few months and a few patches, and I'm sure it will work on most things. Of course you be better off with XP on a low spec machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I am wondering do I need a graphics card other than the one coming as standard.

so far was only looking at the laptops on outlet that list a radeon card but won't be using for games so would it make much of a difference to say watching dvds etc?

if I did decide to use for games ( plan to have the lappie a while so ya never know) is a video card essential (256 etc etc)
    the laptop I was looking at had this
    128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 graphics card

any opinions / assistance ?

thanks

( though knowing my luck yet again the one I have an eye on will be gone by the time I decide )

thanks

if you are not playing games the only reason you need a seperate gfx card is if you plan in using 3D apps or the 3D parts of the vista interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Sponge Bob wrote:
    also note that one 3d card supplied by dell until recently (the x1200 or something) does not work with Vista apparently .

Got a 9400 from the Dell Outlet almost a year ago at this stage. Has a 256MB GeForce 7800 which runs Vista perfectly.

wingnut wrote:
    Got a 9400 from the Dell Outlet almost a year ago at this stage. Has a 256MB GeForce 7800 which runs Vista perfectly.

Whats it like for gaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can the DVD Drive upgraded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sponge Bob wrote:
    the price of doing it afterwarss afterwards is the killer, if you need 3d just get it now.

No such thing as X1200. The X series cards Dell supply are X1150, X1300, X1400, all of which work fine with Vista.

Prior to that it was and still is in the Intel cases the GMA900 or 950, both of which also work with vista.

Advertisement