Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VMS and Advanced Server file limit

• 09-02-2007 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

This is the closest forum for this but if it should be anywhere else move away :)

Story so far. We are moving to a CommVault tape library system from our current SDLT drives. We have 2 VMS based Alpha servers here and need to back them up on this library. Unfortunately CommVault doesn't support VMS. So our plan is to image backup the disks on to a SAN presented disk. We have installed Advanced Server (Pathworks) on the VMS boxes so they are accessible from Windows. Then Commvault (which uses a windows based agent server) backs up these images files through a normal share. This part is all ok and working fine - to a point.

It seems in Advanced Server - which I believe is based on NT3.51 - has a 4GB file size limit. The smallest of these disk images is 11gb - largest is 100Gb. We can see the files in Windows but the file sizes are misreported. E.G. the 11gb file is showing as 1gb. Commvault backs them up and the time is takes is reasonable for the actual sizes (250gb in total on the test machine) but also reports them wrong - it says 11gb in total. It also restores them to VMS but when they come down even VMS reports them as this low size. I did some testing with a 500Mb file and it was all ok so I'm assuming this file limit is the problem.

I tried resetting the file attributes which looked different (RFM:FIX,LRL:32256) but this didn't help. There is one other attribute which I can't figure out how to change. The first file is the original one - 18million blocks and the second is the one that went to windows and back again - 2 million blocks.
    LOG_DISK.BCK;1                        18860184 
    File attributes:    Allocation: 18861144, Extend: 0, Global buffer count: 0, No version limit

LOG_DISK.BCK;1                         2082968 
    File attributes:    Allocation: 2083300, Extend: 0, Global buffer count: 0, No version limit, Contiguous best try

Anyone any ideas how I can either get around this file limit or how to fix the file when it comes back down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

split the images accross multiple 4Gb chunks - not sure what kind of utility can do this on VMS, on the likes of windows Winrar can do this...

sorry stupid suggestion

Advertisement