Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone with Nissan Micra Tech experience?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Howdy,

The car is a '97 Micra 998cc. Took cam cover off the engine today as car died, cam chain is broken. Whats the likelyhood of the valves being ok? Is there an easy way to check them?

Alternatively, whats the options in regards to "drop in" used engines? Will a 1.2 drop in without mods? I just want to widen the search parameters ;-)
    Oh... also, if I were to get a used engine, is it a driveway job? Possible to lift out engine without a crane when its stripped down and gearbox disconnected?

Any help appreciated
    Cheers
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My advice would be...

Take off the head first and check the damage, if the valves are bent but the pistons are still intact the easiest solution would be to buy a complete head in a scrapyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

mloc123 wrote:
    My advice would be...

Take off the head first and check the damage, if the valves are bent but the pistons are still intact the easiest solution would be to buy a complete head in a scrapyard.

Hmmm... have never taken a head off before... thanks for the reply tho, will read up on it and see if its feasible... am thinkin that it would be less labour to pop in a "new" engine.. plus less cost (gaskets/chain/valves/possibly pistons/etc)

Advertisement