Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

autoGK encoding issue

• 09-02-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hullo,

tried search for a previous thread I know there was wrt agk on Comp/Tech and couldn't find it. Not sure if I missed it or it was deleted for some reason.

Anyway, I'm trying to encode my legit owned dvds to avi to save space on my hdd. Was using Gk before finding agk and it was working fine.

I'm using xvid to encode and I want the files to be 4:3 [512x380].

Now the first few disks I did worked fine and all, correct AR and file size.

But the latter disks are coming up with the audio stream being 100+megs in size and the video being ~80megs and only 80x50 screen size.

I've tried changing the audio to vbr mp3 128kbps, forcing the AR to be 4:3, forcing the AR to keep to the original AR.

I tried googling the problem and I *think* it's either the xvid version I have or I need to go back to agk 2.27 rather than 2.4

I've tried both ripping from an mounted ISO and from the individual vob file stream on the hdd. It's only these 4 disks I've having problems with.

Anybody encountered something similar?
    Pissing me off.

Encoding on Dell PentiumD 2.8, 1gig RAM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

this is a great website for showing you how to convert your dvds into avi files. Also great for working with portable media players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

swingking wrote:
    this is a great website for showing you how to convert your dvds into avi files. Also great for working with portable media players

I'm doing exactly as posted and movies in particular it's great for, but series dvds I'm having the problem with; only half of them came out. :(

I've tried the custom width aswell to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't bother with AutoGK any more use AutoMKV it's replacement it supports XviD and the better H.264 format, even WMV.

If you want to continue using XviD the AVI container only supports MP3 audio (AC3 with some hacks) you are better of using the MP4 or MKV (the best container type) which supports AAC encoded audio, MP3, AC3, OGG, FLAC etc & the MKV container even supports chapters.

Be sure to read the big fat warning bit on the page as you need to install a few items for it to be operational. It's pretty straightforward after that with tool tips that will help you.

Advertisement