Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can two PCs share one router (USB / LAN) on BT broadband

Options
  • 09-02-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm on one on the 1mb BT broadband package with the standard Xyzel wired router which comes with deal.

My question is whether I can connect two PCs to the router (one through the USB connection and one through the LAN connection) and have both use the Internet simultaneously?

I had this setup as a kind of "proof of concept" and it worked great.

However, I've now changed which PC is connected to which port and introduced a longer network cable into the equation and IE is hanging very frequently on one of the PCs after requesting pages, clicking links etc. It does work in principle, but fails so often as to be unusable.

I'm going to play around with the ports / cables etc over the weekend as it may be something dodgy in the PCs, but has anyone else done this successfully? Any tips on installation or use?

Thanks,

Maz

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Buy this yoke instead of the Xyxel for €25 in any pc world/dixons/currys/harvey norman

Now you have a proper ethernet network between the pcs as well

and you can add wireless devices any time you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I never got the 2 ports to work simultaniously on any ZyXEL combo that I've tried. It's either one or the other.
    Do as the Sponge says. Invest €25 in a proper piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

A quick, much delayed update on this...

Didn't manage to get the two PCs working off the single original router mentioned above. With one hooked to USB and the other to LAN inputs, they did work for a short time (never more than 5 mins) and then one hung, presumably due to some kind of conflict.

So without more ado, I went the Eircom Netopia route advised above and it works fine.

Thanks for the tips!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As a matter of interest is the Zyxel actually a router or is it more of an 'either usb or ethernet' type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I have mine working perfectally. Zyxel prestige 600 series.

i have one XP machine and one Ubuntu linux machine hooked up. both work perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

To be honest, I didn't read the manuals far enough to be sure that it wouldn't support two machines simultaneously, but got the impression it was intended as an either USB OR LAN. Not both at the same time.

As mentioned above, I did have it working briefly and the probably causing the hang may well have been resolvable with a bit more digging and playing around.

But, it suited me not to waste hours and hours and kinda preferred the flexibility of the Netopia - middle age. ;)

Advertisement