Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Fair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

I went to this last year and found it completely useless. Unless you are looking into doing a taught post-grad the people at the desks will not have any information that will be relevant. Also none of them were from the scientific area's so didn't even have much knowledge on the taught courses offered in science. The easiest way to get information about a potential post-grad position is to go onto the college web-site and look up the lab you are interested in. Also check out if they have published many research papers in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Agreed, for research positions they haven't a clue but that's because research students are few and far between compared to the hordes of Higher Diplomas and taught Masters students that third-level institutions pump out.

ballroom_blitz gives good advice for prospective research students.

As well as looking at Department web pages and the number of publications from each lab you consider (for science), ring the lab supervisor/lecturer and have a chat with them. Ask them about funding for any potential positions they have and lab funding in general.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

For the research positions I definitely recommend you do it 'personally'. I had my supervisor for one of my courses last year, and went to see her a few times to get help etc. I knew the subject area was what I wanted to work in, so it was really a matter of picking a supervisor. Two friends also had her for projects and liked her. I also met one of her postgrads for a chat before too as well. I think for research this is probably the best route.

For taught courses, it might be a good idea to talk to one of your current lecturers - they'd have heard through the grapevine what's good and what's to be avoided, and depending on how well they know you could steer you in a suitable direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd definitely second what BB said. Even if you do want to do a taught postgrad (which I did want, and am currently suffering through) most places will just hand you the university prospectus. I'm sorry, but if I could get all the information from the prospectus then why did I bother my ass heading to the fair in the first place?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In fact you'd have been better off sitting at home on the internet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

went there today
    talked to some prof from dcu
    is suppose they cant be as u ppl say too specific cos MSc and PhD are too subjective but still it was a good chance to talk to someone

Advertisement