Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Seed

Options
  • 09-02-2007 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a large garden but last year bought a boxer pup. Her nails are quite sharp and due to her speed and playfulness she has put quite a lot of marks in my garden from sudden changes of direction to skidding etc. My garden used to be like a putting green....not any more!! Now it's quite patchy. The grass still grows in the patches no problem, it just looks untidy and messy. Can anyone receommend a really good high grade tough strong seed that I can use on the garden? I don't want to have to turn over the whole garden and start new. A friend of mine used to know a guy who was a greenkeeper in a golf club and he got some really good seed where the grass grew really fast and thick and was a lovely rich shade of green but unfortunately that guy has since moved away. Can I just spread it over the existing garden with a mixture of peat and sand or something like that. Also, if I can do this, what do I mix the seed with exactly please?

Thanks for any advise offered

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

buy a hard wearing grass seed enquire in garden centre or local farmers co-op which is cheaper if alot needed. I can't give you a specific name for it but it should be marked hard wearing. This give strong growth and regrowth so is suitable for wear and tear.

Lightly rake the lawn and apply light mix of compost with sand (more compost than sand in mix about 70/30) spread this about an inch deep then scatter seed on top, you can then rake seed in lightly, keep an eye out for birds pinching the seed....may need covering with mesh or even ty some tins together to branches of trees or to a post, the rattle will frighten birds...

You should have beaut lawn shortly.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

I've been receommended the following type of grass seed ; No 3 sportsfield grass seed.

Does anyone know of a brand name for this type or where it could be bought from??

Thanks

Advertisement