Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum impotence

Options
  • 09-02-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭

Coming up on a week since i requested access to the soccer forum, seems like a long time to have to wait before i can get a post up
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The mods will get to it. I waited over a week and saw other people who made their requests after I did, get approved before me.

Just wait a while. Don't PM or harass the mods, I think that's in the charter somewhere.

EDIT: I didn't come complaining to Feedback about it either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

not complaining really, just providing feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Maybe make the title of the thread a little less aggressive for it to be construed as feedback :)

I understand your frustration but that kind of title (implying weakness and powelessness) makes it look more like a complaint ;)

Who knows where the mods are or how busy they are outside of boards.

EDIT, I'm not having a go at you eolhc, just suggesting a bit more patience although I do think a week is a long time... :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    Maybe make the title of the thread a little less aggressive for it to be construed as feedback :)

I understand your frustration but that kind of title (implying weakness and powelessness) makes it look more like a complaint ;)

Who knows where the mods are or how busy they are outside of boards.

EDIT, I'm not having a go at you eolhc, just suggesting a bit more patience although I do think a week is a long time... :)

I was going more for humour than agression :) (edit:my soccer forum impotence not the mods)
    Maybe i was venting my frustration a little, looking for an outlet
    I'll wait awhile before I set up a web petition and start talkING IN CAPS ;)

I do understand that the mods are busy and do appreciate the job they do btw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh the lads are probably a bit busy in Real Life. Give em a bit more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

week seems like a long time, especially when i reckon they have probably all posted this week. several times.

although, my suggestion would be to ping the mods a quick personal message and gently remind them that you have an outstanding query.

Seems to be the one mod handling the access requests so maybe they've been offline, will give a bit more time as i'm not in any great rush and then maybe go the pm route as suggested. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

RuggieBear wrote:
    tbh the lads are probably a bit busy in Real Life. Give em a bit more time.

If they don't have time to moderate maybe they shouldn't. A week is a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

A moderator should step down because they have one busy week in their life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Last time I checked there were six of them on the access forum ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, but if you feel like your moderating duties are taking too much time, or you don't have time to perform basic modding duties, it might be an idea to consider stepping down. A week is a very long time to be waiting, considering that there's 5 active soccer mods. I don't know how they do it in the Soccer forum, maybe they have a special system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've been AWOL due to family commitements and it is usually me who sorts out access requests, so this my bad, but my actual life and family take priority over boards.

I think I only posted once/twice this week. And one of them was to stress that I was up to my eyes. Basically, soccer access requests is the most time consuming part of modding because so many people apply incorrectly, as such I'll only go near it if I actually have time to sit down and read the requests, do the proper research etc.

Honestly, if less people applied incorrectly, I'd be more efficient at granting access, which maybe isn't right, but it is human nature - case in point is the current batch who had maybe 25% actually read and understand the application process.

Faith wrote:
    No, but if you feel like your moderating duties are taking too much time, or you don't have time to perform basic modding duties, it might be an idea to consider stepping down.

Well considering you've never actually carried out the modding duties you're referring to - ermm you don't know what you're talking about.
    A week is a very long time to be waiting, considering that there's 5 active soccer mods.

Which 5 are these? There are 3 active soccer mods - one of whom is infrequently so.
    I don't know how they do it in the Soccer forum,
    That is apparent.

Don't get me wrong Faith, I both enjoy and appreciate your tendency to jump at every opportunity to impart your moderating wisdom to the rest of us, but it might go down better if it was a little heavier on the actual wisdom and a little lighter on the "not knowing the deal".

I hope you don't have any mad family emergencies that spring up out of nowhere so you don't have to give up modding :rolleyes:

Sending PM's to mods is suggested in the charter as a last resort, so I gave it some time, in fairness when I did PM psi and one of the other soccer mods they sorted it out quickly. So thanks guys

Would automating access to users with over 50 posts & 2 months membership with a "will comply to rules" check box be worth setting up sometime, would make it easier on users and having to grant access on an individual basis must be a pain for the mods

eolhc wrote:
    Sending PM's to mods is suggested in the charter as a last resort, so I gave it some time, in fairness when I did PM psi and one of the other soccer mods they sorted it out quickly. So thanks guys

Yup, I have said this was my bad and I have no prob with you. I'm sorry I didn't get to your PM sooner but this thread was probably OTT seeing as all was needed was to alert T4TF that I was awol.
    Would automating access to users with over 50 posts & 2 months membership with a "will comply to rules" check box be worth setting up sometime, would make it easier on users and having to grant access on an individual basis must be a pain for the mods

Honestly no. I'm leaning towards thinking that the current access system is too lenient considering 75% of applicants can't follow simple procedures or be bothered reading the charter.

I'm loathe to automate the system to allow anyone who hasn't read the charter in.

psi wrote:
    I'm loathe to automate the system to allow anyone who hasn't read the charter in.

Well nice to know you take firm stance against those nOObs looking for easy access :), I suppose anything automatic is more prone to abuse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

First of all, psi, relax, I wasn't aiming at you. I have less than zero interest in soccer, so I don't know who does what in the forum.
    psi wrote:
    Well considering you've never actually carried out the modding duties you're referring to - ermm you don't know what you're talking about.

Again, I wasn't aiming at you, or any of the soccer mods. Everybody here has a real life that comes first. If somebody no longer has time to be a mod, then what's the point of continuing as one? And I was referring to things such as moving and locking threads, not specifically dealing with soccer forum access requests.
    psi wrote:
    Which 5 are these? There are 3 active soccer mods - one of whom is infrequently so.

The soccer forum lists the following as moderators: Thanx 4 The Fish, talla, KdjaCL, psi, Amz, RuggieBear. I understand that Amz is the CMod and doesn't actively mod soccer, so that leaves 5.

Anyway, again, my last post in this thread was a general one, so there's really no need to take it so personally.

Faith wrote:
    Thanx 4 The Fish, talla, KdjaCL, psi, Amz, RuggieBear. I understand that Amz is the CMod and doesn't actively mod soccer, so that leaves 5.

Sir Ruggsalot recently received his CMod status for Sports, it appears.

Faith wrote:
    First of all, psi, relax, I wasn't aiming at you. I have less than zero interest in soccer, so I don't know who does what in the forum.

I'd almost wish your post was aimed at me, because then it would at least have some motive other than a pointless, uninformed need to make comment.

Again, I wasn't aiming at you, or any of the soccer mods. Everybody here has a real life that comes first. If somebody no longer has time to be a mod, then what's the point of continuing as one? And I was referring to things such as moving and locking threads, not specifically dealing with soccer forum access requests.

So given this point I'll say

(A) Who no longer has time? Something came up with my family and I didn't have net access? So what the hell are you blathering on about?

(B) If you're referring to moving threads and locking threads etc etc, then why the hell ar eyou posting here? This thread has nothing to do with that. It is specifically about soccer access requests?

So honestly, why the hell did you feel the need to comment about something not related to the topic citing circumstances which don't apply?

Who are you trying to impress?
    The soccer forum lists the following as moderators: Thanx 4 The Fish, talla, KdjaCL, psi, Amz, RuggieBear. I understand that Amz is the CMod and doesn't actively mod soccer, so that leaves 5.

Talla is away, Amz and Ruggie are cmods. Did you even look to see who were mods or not?
    Anyway, again, my last post in this thread was a general one, so there's really no need to take it so personally.
    I'm not taking it personally, I just am amused by your need to post complete tripe that has nothing to do withthe topic to make yourself look authoritive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Myth wrote:
    Sir Ruggsalot recently received his CMod status for Sports, it appears.

Yup.

Soccer is a special case imo and i'm not modding it unless one of its mods deems it necessary or me worthy (which hopefully won't happen):)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

eolhc wrote:
    Well nice to know you take firm stance against those nOObs looking for easy access :), I suppose anything automatic is more prone to abuse
    You have no idea of the abuse... lol.
    Thats why its the way it is in fact.

Thread done and dusted.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement