Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob: scripting language which will interface with a DB?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest an easy to learn scripting language which can interface with a database, postgres preferably but any will do?
    Ideally the script will have a record tool so I can record screen actions (like I said, noob; can't create script from scratch). I'm using XP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

um, Structured Query Language?

That seems the most obvious choice, you need a tool to run it with though. I'd imagine one comes with postgresql I'm just not that familiar with the RDBMS mahself but pgAdmin III is available for windows and that will should do the trick.

Now all you have to do is learn SQL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

XP comes with Windows Script Host preinstalled.

You can use this to run scripts in VBScript or JScript (MS's version of Javascript). This can interface with ODBC, and you should be able to get an ODBC driver for PGSQL to bridge that gap.

You've kind of lost me on the whole "Record screen actions" thing though. Do you want something that will watch what you do in a window, then convert these actions into a runnable script? The MS office suite comes with Macro recorders, but that's all I can think of.

What exactly it is that you want your script to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

You've kind of lost me on the whole "Record screen actions" thing though. Do you want something that will watch what you do in a window, then convert these actions into a runnable script?
    Yep.

I want to create an auto folding program for online poker. It needs to take input of my hand information (what cards I've been dealt) from a text window and then press fold or not in the poker client window depending on what the cards are.

I was going to use C++ to write algorithms to decide what action to take but as the logic is very simple and a lookup table along with some simple logic handled by the scripting language should do. And I don't know how to interface a C++ program with a script.
    The reason I'd like to use postgresql is because it is used by a program (pokertracker) to store stats on players which in future could be used to make decisions, but this is not important at the moment. I just want to get a basic a folding program working first.

What I really need is to be pointed to somewhere I can download a scripting program which has the ablility to record me press fold, and a set of instructions which will help me get & put info from/to a database using the script.

Advertisement