Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer sends bailiffs in to seize bank's computers

Options
  • 09-02-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=430129&in_page_id=1770
    A man who was fed up with paying massive bank charges decided to give one of the high street giants a taste of its own medicine.

When Royal Bank of Scotland refused to refund £3,400 charges that Declan Purcell believed he was owed, he sent in the bailiffs.

Stunned customers at his branch of RBS watched as debt collectors seized four computers, two fax machines and a till filled with cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

what a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Legend.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wouldn't mind doing that hehehe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

An instant Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

love to see someone do that over here....they are so smug and think they can get away with anything....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

In England it is so much worse than over here. I was told I couldn't overdraw my debit card. Hilarity ensues! I overdraw it and the charge me £40 for overdrawing it by £1 and £40 for being overdrawn that month. You also get charged for an extra month so even if you pay it off one month you will get charged for the next as well.

These fools wouldn't tell me how much I owed over the phone even though I was trying to explain I was now in a different country and had no way of checking my balance otherwise. My statements came and I kept paying the overdraft off completely but as I was going by the statements they were already outdated by the time I got them . This went on for 2 months and me calling up about 5 times. Luckily my dad had to go to England for business and told them where to go, closed my account and that was the end of it after I had lost about £250 for their incompetence and for random charges that made absolutely no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My hero!

Married man? Available? I like his style!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Brilliant giving the bank a dose of their own medicine

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im thinking dont bailiffs have a neck? I mean technically they were robbing a bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Great find, what a guy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

People don't realise how sweet we have it here compared to English or American banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Sangre wrote:
    People don't realise how sweet we have it here compared to English or American banks.

I find my charges quite high for an average Joe soap account holder - 40 euro every 3 or 4 months and then whopper interest charges for going overdrawn - yet i dont have an overdraft.

They charged me 40 euro interest + 6.35 for unpaid direct debit for going over drawn for one day a few weeks ago. I told them i didnt want my account going overdrawn if a bill tried to come out and the money wasnt in it well so be it - cos the bill wasnt being paid anyway as they pulled it back out the next day if i didnt lodge the amount it was overdrawn by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

wow tats so funny.how did he get away with it:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

KatieK wrote:
    Im thinking dont bailiffs have a neck? I mean technically they were robbing a bank!

I don't think so, they would have had either a warrant or a court order upon which they were acting.
    They would produce this document to the bank before they would seize aforementioned property.
    In June last year he demanded the refund of £3,400 charges he accrued during the previous six years while running a motorcycle dealership.

RBS ignored the claim so in October Mr Purcell filed an online application to get the money back through the county court.

After 30 days the bank had not responded and so on December 10 the court ruled in Mr Purcell's favour.

It ordered RBS to pay the charges and £120 court costs. When RBS again failed to respond Mr Purcell got the court to give him a warrant of execution, allowing him to order debt collectors to reclaim items from the bank equal in value to the amount he was owed.

Finally on Monday, January 8, a team of debt collectors walked into the busy Camden Town branch in North London, demanded to see the manager, showed their court order and announced that they were repossessing items.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Trinity1 wrote:
    I find my charges quite high for an average Joe soap account holder - 40 euro every 3 or 4 months and then whopper interest charges for going overdrawn - yet i dont have an overdraft.

They charged me 40 euro interest + 6.35 for unpaid direct debit for going over drawn for one day a few weeks ago. I told them i didnt want my account going overdrawn if a bill tried to come out and the money wasnt in it well so be it - cos the bill wasnt being paid anyway as they pulled it back out the next day if i didnt lodge the amount it was overdrawn by?
    Wow, your bank sucks. Which one is it?

But trust me, this still great compared to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Sangre wrote:
    Wow, your bank sucks. Which one is it?

But trust me, this still great compared to the US.

AIB - BUT!! I think their internet banking is fantastic, i like their customer service and they have helped me out of a few tight spots when i really needed them so thats why i wont consider changing banks.

Guess you get what you pay for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Excellent story :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So then why doesn't everyone who's been overcharged by the banks get the bailiffs in over here to sort the issue out if the bank doesn't respond in a prompt manner???? Seems like a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I bet the bailiffs couldn't wait / were fighting one another tobe 'on the case' :D

Legend x 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Red Alert wrote:
    So then why doesn't everyone who's been overcharged by the banks get the bailiffs in over here to sort the issue out if the bank doesn't respond in a prompt manner???? Seems like a great idea!
    There is the little matter of needing a court order before the bailiffs will proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What about the data on the computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They wouldn't really have much data relating to customers. The computers only contact the main server or whatever for that info when they need it I'd guess.

But the man is a legend of the highest order. I hope the arrogant SOBs in the bank get sacked for their cheek in ignoring the court.

Advertisement