Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Business blue-screening twice a week

• 09-02-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post it up to see if anyone else is having the same 'WOW' experience with Vista?

Ah no, I really like the look and feel of Vista, but have to say, on average it's blue-screening twice a week which isn't really acceptable.

I got a brand new Optiplex with Windows XP here in work, Jan 22nd. Installed all my programs etc

Got the Vista Business upgrade then a week later and upgraded it over XP. There was a couple of minor issues, but nothing preventing me from upgrading.

There seemed to be a problem with the ATI graphics drivers, so I went onto their site and have downloaded an update. That was only yesterday and it hasn't happened since so wait and see I suppose...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's nice to hear Microsoft have, despite all the new functionality of Vista, held on to one of their most familiar features! :D

My advice is never ever do in-place upgrades. In my experience they rarely work out, not just for operating systems, but also for MS applications as well. There's no substitute for wiping your hard drive and doing a fresh clean install. Then reload your data, personalise your settings and install all your apps. I know it takes longer, but the stability and lack of errors in the end makes it worth it.

I think the whole "upgrade" thing is more of a marketing gimmick than a good way to change your operating system. Complete reinstall from scratch is far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oracle wrote:
    It's nice to hear Microsoft have, despite all the new functionality of Vista, held on to one of their most familiar features! :D

My advice is never ever do in-place upgrades. In my experience they rarely work out, not just for operating systems, but also for MS applications as well. There's no substitute for wiping your hard drive and doing a fresh clean install. Then reload your data, personalise your settings and install all your apps. I know it takes longer, but the stability and lack of errors in the end makes it worth it.

I think the whole "upgrade" thing is more of a marketing gimmick than a good way to change your operating system. Complete reinstall from scratch is far better.
    Agree.. I'd never advise someone to do an upgrade. Usually causes more problems. Complete format and reload all the way

(oh, the new Optiplex 320s should be fine. Ours all came with XP till now, but I've tested Vista on a few and no problems. Also fine on the newer Dimensions and Inspirons).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandude

Oracle wrote:
    I laughed out loud there! :D

I hope they'll release a major update soon enough. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've been running Home Premium for abouta week on my 16 months old Dimension 5150, with no issues. I knew there was a reason I went for 2 gigs of RAM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Oracle wrote:

Cheers for that, I know what you mean - but the DVD I have says "Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Vista", so I was a bit wary about formatting the disc!

If I do want to go down the road of formatting the disc and starting again - could you give me a few pointers on how to go about doing it? (It's been a long time since I did this so it's gone a bit out of my head - I can't even see how to restart in DOS in Vista!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Theres a guide out there to installing from the Upgrade DVD, it takes a bit of loafing around with your other disc, but can be done.

Advertisement