Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ringtone companies and Mobile clubs

• 09-02-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

I can't believe all these companies are still managing to trick kids into signing up for a "free" ringtone or "cheap" phone tool and then charge them a few euro a week for features that aren't available due to "model of handset" or "network difficulties". And when you phone to complain, you're put through to a call centre in India where the person can't understand you (or lets on that they can't to protect the company :rolleyes: ) and you're eventually disconnected. The only way or escaping these clubs that I've ever heard is to shred your sim. I think they should just scrap premium rate text numbers or put a limit on the amount they can charge and "ringtone clubs" etc should be banned - of course little kids aren't going to read/understand the small print.

The worst example of one of these "services" I've seen so far was a Bebo profile for Veronica's MoCo Mobile Club. I tried to post a comment against the service and the way they trick young children into spending a fortune on a service that doesn't work. After I posted it, I was told that "your comment will appear on this profile when it has been approved by Veronicas Moco". I guess it's understandable enough - how many people are going to post positive comments about a company that lets you meet new friends for just E2 per week plus E1 per text.......

Just have a look at the company's Bebo page. Watch the video that's on the right when you scroll down a bit. Looks like a pretty handy gadget - and it's "free" according to the video. Then click on the "download this to your profile" thing on the text gadget. Before downloading the "free" gadget, you'll be told that
    Try the widget Free for a week.
    €2 per week after the free week
    , billed to your mobile, for unlimited messages.
    You can delete the widget at any time.

Yes, I know they give you the option to delete it, but they've placed a load of loopholes in there so you can't stop them taking your money. You were a member when they charged you so you can't have a refund. Even if you delete the "widget", you're still a member of the club so they'll keep charging you. And if you call the call centre in Mumbai, they'll tell you that you should have read the small print, just before you develop a "problem with your phone line".

Check the small print? How many 9 year old girls with Ready to Go phones are going to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sick. Although its a contract of sorts, contracts involving minors are not enforcable under Irish law.

One for our sleepy Regulator to sort out, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Another rip off artist, there should be laws against these ppl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Fools and their money........ tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

U can report this person for abuse. If enough people report them for the scam that they r running that bebo will surely get rid of there profile and ban them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

They can shut down this company but a whole load more will take its place. There have been companies like this ripping off mobile customers since there were mobiles that could take custom ringtones on the market.

Another offender (can't remember the exact name) is that company running the ads where you and a friend can win a trip to New York by answering a simple question: New York is better known as : A) The Big Apple, B) The Big Orange, etc etc. It says in the small print "Subscription : €2 per week". This isn't aimed at kids but some people are obviously falling for it.

And who could forget Jamster, where all those kids were being charged €90 a month from their credit phones and the small print on the ads (apparently it was slurred deliberately) basically said that there was no way out and there were no refunds. :eek:

suppafly wrote:
    U can report this person for abuse. If enough people report them for the scam that they r running that bebo will surely get rid of there profile and ban them.
    No, you can't. It's a sponsored profile - Bebo are charging them to have this page. Everyone that logs on to Bebo in Ireland will now see a link to that page for a few weeks.

Yes, they could be banned if it was opened for free as a free ad but Bebo won't ban a sponsored profile because they'll just lose money. And the scam must be working - sponsored profiles are usually held by big companies like McDonalds and Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I think this is a disgrace that Bebo is allowing them do this.

Clearly designed to exploit kids.

But they can't be stopped. Even if it's not allowed on Bebo it's already on TV and Radio all the time. And even if they do shut them down, they'll form another company. Just look at the ad breaks on MTV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

bugger i just clicked on a free text icon on messenger today. i got a pin number sent to my phone from veronicas moco. Does that mean i will be charged €2 a week from my phone credit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The only way or escaping these clubs that I've ever heard is to shred your sim.
    i know you wrote that in February and probably won't read this but you could just not top up the sim, shredding it is kind of excessive.
    snaps wrote:
    bugger i just clicked on a free text icon on messenger today. i got a pin number sent to my phone from veronicas moco. Does that mean i will be charged €2 a week from my phone credit?
    probably. text STOP to the number the text came from

Advertisement