Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My asus a8n sli premium mb has very few fan connectors..

Options
  • 09-02-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I can't belive it I really could do with more fans in my case but it looks as if i have ran out of connections on the mobo!:mad: There are just 5 fans connected right now and only one of them is additional... The rest are the required intake, outake x3... This is ridiculous cause my motherboard isnt exactly 'low' end and i am very surprised to discover this!! I thought pretty much all boards are to supply a generous amount of fan connections...

Is there any way to get more fans in the mb? Like any adapters available and such?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

You plug them into each other and then plug one in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can get fans that just take power direct from the PSU using a standard PSU connector.. which then can be plugged in to a drive if you want. I have some in my PC i built in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Saruman wrote:
    You can get fans that just take power direct from the PSU using a standard PSU connector.

This is what you're looking for alright. Only one fan of my five is connected directly to the motherboard (the CPU fan).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Oh okay well thats good to know thanks guys. Are these PSU direct fans in shorter supply or can I find them easily? Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Two-wire fans are not rare; I've more than a few lying around that came with various hardware (I promptly swapped them out for three wire 'quiet' fans). They're also not worthwhile if noise is an issue. Best solution for you is to either splice it yourself, get a y-splitter or get an overall cooling management system (depending on your needs obviously).

• Advertisement

I got mine in Maplin years ago so try them.. peats would probably have them too.. otherwise the internet will give you lots of choice but you pay shipping then.

Okay thanks I will try Maplins then. Peats doesnt look like it has much...

See the reason I desperately need a spare connection is cause I have to fix a fan onto my graphics card cause its overheating, but right now the fan slot thats close to it is taken with the 80mm I have that needs to blow onto the chipset...cause thats too hot also...

You could try one of those extractor fans that take up a PCI slot. Just face it to the card. I have some of those and about 7 fans in my current tower.. its an Athlon XP2100+ and they get very hot so i went overkill on the fans :D
    http://www.electroseller.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/AOCFC2000B375.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was actually just gonna ask if those system exhaust pci things are any good - how did you fare with them saurman. Because in both my machines i have practically no fans at all

Like i said, i went overkill because i knew how hot that CPU got. Im not sure if its the same with newer ones but this particular AMD fries the very second you turn on the power without a heatsink and fan on it. So with that in mind i got plenty of fans when i built it.

The Exhaust fans are fine. My graphics cards have had fans on them which sucks out hot air and the exhaust then extracts this air and sends it out the back of the case. Its obviously a good idea as most high end cards these days have them built into the graphics cards.

• Advertisement

Yeah I decided to put the 80mm fan I was using to cool the chipset onto the gfx card and now my chipsets hot... God this is frustrating! I need to find a two-wire fan quick!!

Graphics card is nice and cool now though.. 34C idle / 56C max load! Looks like I have to choose which is most important....

You'd think mb manufacturers would consider this when designing a motherboard that they say is 'meant' for overclockers!!!! So much hassle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If i were you i would buy one of these:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=OA-001-ZA

And have the fans connected to it. You can control the speed of the fans which will help with noise.

Looks very nifty but I was hoping I would not have to go and spend that much. Of course not much on its own but OCuk like to charge you for speed delivery with no other option:rolleyes:

I don't think I have another choice so maybe I will have to get it. I will only be putting one fan into it though cause thats all I need.

I think I will check if I can get that thing here cause I hate ordering online even though I have no choice mostly...

Found it on peats - 30eu. Not bad I guess.

I'll go in later on in the week and see if they actually have it in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

why dont you just get a molex powered fan?

heres an adapter , im sure you can get some thing similar in maplin/peats
    http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT72136/it.A/id.287/.f?sc=2&category=2004

Alright so that connects into a four pin? If I can find that that would definately be the solution. thanks.

Advertisement