Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane and more Wiki antics

• 09-02-2007 6:46pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading this Wiki page on Robbie got me thinking. In particular this part of it:
    Robert David "Robbie" Keane: born 8 July 1980 in Tallaght, Dublin) is an Irish footballer, who currently plays as a striker for Tottenham Hotspur and couldn't give a flying [fcuk] about the Republic of Ireland.

Now personally I think this comment is very unfair. I don't doubt his commitment to Ireland - you don't get to top goal scorer, yes even in this country, without considerable commitment.

Sometimes, for Ireland anyway, it seems as if he often makes the wrong decision with the ball - passes it when he should shoot, and shoots when he should pass. Again, Wednesday when he shot wide he really should have gone on a few more yards - but that's nothing to do with commitment, that's the result of not having a decent club coach for the majority of his career, and not having a very secure 1st 11 place for Spurs. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ok, very simply, good players play worse when they are surrounded by **** players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

He's a man who fancies himself more skilful then he really is and I've never been a fan of the chap. Usually when you see him play in a green shirt he's trying some fancy Dan trick that fails, over elaborating when a simple pass would do or he's giving lip to someone... anyone. As I said in another thread, I really believe that he can be as big a liability as he can be an asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

all he does is whinge and moan

shouldnt be Irish captain imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sometimes, for Ireland anyway, it seems as if he often makes the wrong decision with the ball - passes it when he should shoot, and shoots when he should pass.

Remove the "for Ireland anyway" bit and you'll be nearer the mark.

He's naturally talented, of that there can be no question. You have to be talented to score 129 senior club goals and 29 goals for Ireland in you career (to date) Despite his talent, he hasn't improved much over the years (some would say he's got worse). IMO he has no football brain, and 11 managers over his career have found it impossible to coach him to make the right runs.

He can't/won't head the ball, flaps his arms in an illusion of hard work, crowds out other players in better positions than him, and fails to get into dangerous positions himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

He's the most over rated player on the planet. I hate him.

He's also a bit of a thug.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:

Out of order. From the people I know who've met him he's an extremely personable young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Out of order. From the people I know who've met him he's an extremely personable young man.

I'm talking about on the soccer pitch.

fade2black wrote:
    I'm talking about on the soccer pitch.

Examples so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

fade2black wrote:

Ah come on, as Dunphy says personal insults don't help these discussions.

Who is he overrated by? He IS our best goal scorer, has a better international games to goals ratio than most players and was one of 7 or 8 people to score 3 goals in the 2002 World Cup - as therecklessone says he has the talent, that's without question. I remember his goal against Isreal at home (yes, that match) really showed his "cheekyness" that he's often accredited with. I just wish he had a really good forward to learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Ferguson said years ago he'd never sign Robbie Keane as he was over-rated or something like that. (this was in his wolves days and when he broke into the Irish side).

Thought Ferguson was wrong at the time, but i'm delighted Utd never bought him. He's too sure off himself and needs to be hacked down to earth.

EVERY match he plays in now, he's after the referee whingeing about stupid things. He can't hold up a ball and tries too many tricks in wrong areas.

He's a cross between cristiano ronaldo and gary doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

smemon wrote:
    :eek:

:D

Very good mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

smemon wrote:

lol, that's funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

smemon wrote:
    Ferguson said years ago he'd never sign Robbie Keane as he was over-rated or something like that. (this was in his wolves days and when he broke into the Irish side).

He said he would never pay that much for a teenager........he was spot on.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ziggy67 wrote:
    Wasn't Rooney a teenager when he signed him? :confused:

And Ronaldo, your sarcasm meter is broken.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Keano is no thug, hes actually fairly sound but he does talk about football 100% of the time. To suggest he doesnt try hard enough for Ireland is stupid, he loves playing for Ireland and always tries his best, sometimes he tries to hard though.

Its hard to understand his accent though, and im from tallaght myself :D

Back in the day when he played for Wolves he used to drive a seat ibiza wit a wolves crest on the bonnet and "keano" wriiten down the side :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Back in the day when he played for Wolves he used to drive a seat ibiza wit a wolves crest on the bonnet and "keano" wriiten down the side :D

i think that's the problem with Keane right there. He never seems to have been able to shake off that "immature" streak shall we say. To me he looks like a player who never grew up (in footballing terms at least).

He's still the best striker we've got no doubt about that, but i actually think he could do with a kick up the arse. he should be dropped for the next match imo. Countless times you see Ireland pressing forward and getting crosses into the box and only one player in there and Keane out where the left back should be or something stupid...

Advertisement