Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL vs SundIreland

• 09-02-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Pats and Rovers to play Sunderland next week in freindlies, stupid short notice no chance of getting off work.

Afaik we play them wednesday and Rovers the week after.
    Shamrock Rovers have been invited over to Sunderland in two weeks time by the club’s biggest fan - Black Cats chief executive Niall Quinn. The lanky former Ireland striker is a fully fledged Member of Rovers - contributing €40-per-month like over 400 other diehard Hoops supporters.

It might be small change compared to the amount of cash Quinn and his consortium have pumped into Sunderland since their summer takeover. But the fans’ money has seen Rovers return from the verge of extinction nearly two years ago to become a once-again vibrant club.

Cant find anything on any site only a bit in the Star about Rovers playing them.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

KdjaCL wrote:
    Pats and Rovers to play Sunderland next week in freindlies, stupid short notice no chance of getting off work.

Afaik we play them wednesday and Rovers the week after.

Cant find anything on any site only a bit in the Star about Rovers playing them.

kdjac

Biggest, as in height? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Biggest, as in height? :rolleyes:

Ahh come now, theres need for that eamon...err i mean hes a millionaire and fair play to him for putting 40 in a week to Rovers. Hes is the ELs angel of something.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can't wait for the season to start. Friendlies annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

The lanky former Ireland striker is a fully fledged Member of Rovers - contributing €40-per-month like over 400 other diehard Hoops supporters.
    Guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ahh come now, theres need for that eamon...err i mean hes a millionaire and fair play to him for putting 40 in a week to Rovers. Hes is the ELs angel of something.

kdjac

I imagine he'd like to stay a millionaire, so he invested in an entity that at least has a chance of making money...

• Advertisement

Could also do the Euromillions, better odds on getting his 100 milion back.

kdjac

I imagine he'd like to stay a millionaire, so he invested in an entity that at least has a chance of making money...
    ... out of an already saturated Irish fan base. Mick Wallace wants to stay rich too, but at least he's doing something constructive (pun intended).

Preview:
    St Patrick's Athletic have been invited to play a friendly fixture against Sunderland Reserves next Wednesday afternoon. The match is scheduled to take place at the club's training ground, known as the Academy Of Light.

http://www.stpatsfc.com/next_match.php

Does that mean we playing the ireland u21s? ohhhh maybe it play out like the China Qpr game :d

/better be paying our travel costs.

kdjac

SectionF wrote:
    ... out of an already saturated Irish fan base. Mick Wallace wants to stay rich too, but at least he's doing something constructive (pun intended).

Are you really trying to compare the two? Mick Wallace is not involved with Wexford Youths to make money, Wallace makes plenty of money from his real job.

Are you really trying to compare the two? Mick Wallace is not involved with Wexford Youths to make money, Wallace makes plenty of money from his real job.

No what would be the point, one is trying to make a few quid out of something, the other has a few quid and is trying to make something.

No comparision.

/sometimes i wish pats took his offer (feckin board room politics) :(
    kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    No what would be the point, one is trying to make a few quid out of something, the other has a few quid and is trying to make something.

No comparision.

I believe Quinn has done a bit for charity already, don't see why he should be expected to invest in the game here if he and his investors are on the look out for a good business opportunity.

I thought it was clear I was trying to contrast the two.

Quinn is entitled to make as much money as he wants out of whatever he wants. But he cannot market yet another English outfit with spurious Irish connections, and still polish his halo as some sort of saviour of domestic football.
    Wallace is actively building Irish football, and making much less fuss about it.

SectionF wrote:
    But he cannot market yet another English outfit with spurious Irish connections, and still polish his halo as some sort of saviour of domestic football.

Realistically, who is putting him forward as the saviour of domestic football other than you and KdjaCL? Sarcastically of course.

One piece in the the thoroughly dependable Irish Star calling him Rovers' biggest fan because of €40 a week? Give me a break. I wasn't even aware Quinn was a Hoops fan until now, though I'll always bow to superior knowledge.

I've searched bohsnews and there's only one article that comes even close to Quinn's input to "saving" the domestic game, his call for government investment similar to GAA funding. Of course, he was involved in the IAG until taking his post at Sunderland, but I believe he was invited to take part? Some people seem to have a bee in their bonnet about his decision to head a consortium buying into the English game while he was deciding the future of our own game, but IMO if he was the best person to decide on the make up of the two leagues before he took the helm at Sunderland, then he was still the best person to decide after he took the helm. That's IF he was the right person in the first place...;)

I think its ironic that Quinn was replaced on the IAG by a director and Life President of Charlton. What would he know about the domestic game, eh?

Well, if it's put about on boards.ie and elsewhere that Quinn is a 'huge' fan of eL football, on the basis of a monthly contribution that wouldn't shoe one hoof on his racehorse, then I think it's appropriate to challenge that.
    Incidentally, I was in Champion Sports yesterday. As is my wont, I looked in the jerseys section to see what Irish club kits were being remaindered this week, rejected by 'the best fans in the world' in favour of the usual Big Four tat. Imagine my surprise when I saw a second-rank English club represented there. Yes, we are stocking our sports shops with Sunderland shirts. How pathetic.

SectionF wrote:
    Well, if it's put about on boards.ie and elsewhere that Quinn is a 'huge' fan of eL football, on the basis of a monthly contribution that wouldn't shoe one hoof on his racehorse, then I think it's appropriate to challenge that.

Challenge the people putting it about.

Advertisement