Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan is loud and has slowed down

Options
  • 09-02-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to fix a fan in a friend's PSU.

Its has become loud, like a fridge off balance and the fan's rpm seems to be reduced. Its a Fujistu/Siemens one thats out of warranty and he's asked me to try something.

Replacing it could be a problem as it appears, without opening the PSU to be a non standard size and shape. To me a straight swap appears unlikely, but I wont know 100% until I open the PSU.

Is there anything I can do the fix the one thats already in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It is not a good idea to open up a psu. For one it is very dangerous secondly you by opening it and messing around with it you might actually damage some of the goodness inside. So when you turn it back on * BOOOOM * goes your friends pc.

If the fan is gone, most likely the bearings are seizing or the grease has hardened.

Best thing is to contact the manufacturer. and find out where a replacement can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fujitsu scenic tower?

As Anti said, bearings could be wearing.
    If you reckon you can cleanly open the PSU, plug it into a wall socket, turn off the switch at the wall socket, turn off the ATX power switch on the back of the PSU (if there is one, probably not) and leave it for an hour.
    Extract the fan, peel back the label [remote the clip-ring if it exists] and apply some good lubricant, working it into the shaft by rotating the fan blades.
    Should get another while out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

its a T-Bird

What lubrication is recommended for a PC fan?

Advertisement