Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Subaru diesel

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

alias no.9 wrote:
    I think you'll find they have more in common than you think considering they they both share their underpinnings with the renault megane.
    Well you learn something new everyday. I knew the Qashqai was based on the Mégane, but didn't realise the Sentra. Obviously, things are changing then faster than I thought....
    Biro wrote:
    Fords are american. Designed in America by Americans. Built by Americans. End of story.
    We'll agree to differ on the first one. I respect your view on it and I've said what I think about it, so I don't see the need to say anymore about that.You're completely wrong on the second one. European Fords have been designed and built for as long as I can remember in Europe. They were even built about a mile away from where I live for Christs sake! The Ford Falcon is built in Autsrailia. The Fiesta is built in Spain. The Mondeo is built in Belgium. Ford's diesels are built in the UK. Yes, US Fords are built there, though not necessarily desingned there. The Five Hundred is based on the Volvo S80(Though it kinda looks like the current Mondeo inside). The Fusion is based on the Mazda6. The Focus for the US was designed in Europe, though built over there. Their next Focus looks completely different from our one(and looks a lot cheaper than our one inside), that definately was not designed for here. I wonder does it share the same chassis with our one though, and note that the new Focus for the US doesn't have the 'kinetic' design, which was supposed to be rolled out on Fords across the globe? http://www.fordvehicles.com/Cars/2008focus/

Biro wrote:
    You still haven't proved that euro cars are better than the equivalent jap car.

Well how exactly am I supposed to prove that? You obviously disagree with me. I'm offering my opinion, which hasn't changed btw, that Euros generally are better than non Euros, with the honourable exception of a few jap cars, which I mentioned in my previous post yestereday. Theres no logic to what makes a car good. Its whatever floats your boat as far as I'm concerned. I know that the continentals are big into allocating points for this and points for that and come up with the best car on the basis of what gets the most points. I believe to do something like that to cars is to say that they are just some other consumer good; a domestic appliance on wheels if you like. I will not have cars being considered as just some other household item:) Some people love hybrids, I don't like them, some think diesels are the Bees knees, I like some of them, but I like petrols a lot more, if I were buying a BMW, it would have to be a 6 pot petrol unless its the 1 series or X3(which is a disgrace to the BMW name) both of which I hate or the X5, because you'd want to be mad to have a petrol one of those, fabulous sounding straight 6 or not, whereas if I wanted say a Range Rover, without question, I'd have the new V8 diesel. There will never be a proper hot hatch, Coupe, Roadster, or anything really fast with a diesel that I would consider, not even if BMW made it. On the other hand, diesels are the ideal engine for most MPVs, practically all 4X4s, family cars, anything where sheer performace is not the number one requirement. Theres no logic I know to what I said, but thats the great thing about cars. Look at the BMW 3 series. On no logical level whatsoever should BMW be allowed to charge more for the E92(Coupé) than for the E90(saloon). The E92 has one less seat, a smaller boot and less room than the E90. And what would I have? The E92 every time. The 335i SE is BMW's second best car at the moment IMO. The best one is the M5 or even the M6(what else could it be:D ). Why? Can't explain that really, it looks a lot nicer than the E90 I know, but theres absolutely no rational reason why anyone would want an E92 over an E90. But there are lots of perhaps stupid reasons. As I said it looks better. it probably drives a fraction better, it will be a lot more exclusive, they're at present only available with those fabulous sounding straight 6's(all the more reason to have one:D ). The normal 3 series is very mass market these days(partly because its such a good car, and partly because its a BMW), nothing wrong with that at all; as you never would have guessed, I really like Beemers and I've never driven a car yet, I'll probably think they're the only make worth making when I do start driving.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Fair enough, my comments on Ford were arrogant, I withdraw, they are an American company, but have an international car base.
    I agree on your comments on the BMW's too, any less than an in-line 6 I really wouldn't bother with in a BMW, based on the badge premium. The 3 series coupe is a good bit different (and better) to drive than the saloon, surprisingly so. I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much difference. The saloon really is nothing special, and over rated.
    My point isn't just to negate your point, I just hate sweeping statements that say all of one thing is better than all of another. People who say All Euro are good are wrong, people who say ALL jap are good are wrong, people who say all Fiats are bad are wrong, etc etc.
    As you said yourself theres different reasons to buy different cars. But everyone should consider all cars individually against other cars in the bracket that fit their needs. I've no respect for people who buy a car because of a certain badge, or who won't buy a car because of a certain badge. They're just sheep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

E92 wrote:
    , I really like Beemers and I've never driven a car yet, I'll probably think they're the only make worth making when I do start driving.;)

OK!!!
    so you're arguing about the retlative merits of European and Asian cars based on what experiences?

the rest of the posters here who have contributed to this thread have given their opinions based on years of experience with different cars.

So what criteria do you judge vehicles by? shinyness of paintwork, loudness of stereo, comfyness of passenger seat, what the cool kids in your JC class think?

Just as an aside, I have almost the full range discussed here, An E30 318i (which by the way has ****loads of balls for a 4pot), an Australian Ford Falcon ED 4.0Li, and a Toyota Landcruiser Ute.

each car has its good points and its bad points and I use whichever one suits my needs at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Well spotted Mahatma coat... I get bored before the end of E92's essays.

E92, you're far from an authority, so stop trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote:

Stop trying what? This forum is open to all to contribute to

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

JHMEG wrote:

give the kid a break, he obviously has a big interest and his own opinions. the only diff from most users is that he honestly gave his experience instead of making something up like most people do. Argue with what he says if you have a problem, just putting him down is cowardly and doesn't make you look at all good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote:
    Fair enough, my comments on Ford were arrogant, I withdraw, they are an American company, but have an international car base.
    I agree on your comments on the BMW's too, any less than an in-line 6 I really wouldn't bother with in a BMW, based on the badge premium. The 3 series coupe is a good bit different (and better) to drive than the saloon, surprisingly so. I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much difference. The saloon really is nothing special, and over rated.
    My point isn't just to negate your point, I just hate sweeping statements that say all of one thing is better than all of another. People who say All Euro are good are wrong, people who say ALL jap are good are wrong, people who say all Fiats are bad are wrong, etc etc.
    As you said yourself theres different reasons to buy different cars. But everyone should consider all cars individually against other cars in the bracket that fit their needs.
    Biro thats absoultely fine by me, and I find myself in agreement with what you said. As for sweeping statements, its funny, because anyone who knows me says I'm great for making them, so I'm not surprised by that at all. I admit completetly that I make them somtimes.
    Biro wrote:
    I've no respect for people who buy a car because of a certain badge, or who won't buy a car because of a certain badge. They're just sheep.
    I've no time for that either. people should buy cars on whether they're good or not. Its why I have absolutely no interest in the 1 series, and the 316i. I can't bear the Merc A and B class either. People buy these cars so that they can say to their friends they have a BMW or a Merc. They haven't the faintest interest in cars I think; they'd be better off if they saved money and bought a well specced hatchback. I like Beemers because they sound great with a straight 6, even at low revs. They're much nicer sounding than even 6 pots from other makes. I like the fact the BMW stand up for what they believe in. While rivals go for V6s, they've stuck with having 6 cylinders in a line(and full marks to Volvo for doing the same). And they've stuck with RWD, even though its dearer and less practical. As I mentioned yesterday (and don't worry Mahatma Coat and JHMEG, I'll be back to this in a while) I've never driven a car, so I can't honestly say how much of a diffference it makes to the driver, but as a passenger I find that RWD cars are smoother and more comfortable, and as I mentioned above those straight 6s really do sound nice. Even straight 6 diesels sound good. and I can't help but like Beemers. I like the fact that while rivals are going for milk floats(with their fuel cells), BMW are sticking with the internal combustion engine when it comes to Hydrogen. When they solve the current problems with it(and no doubt they will), we'll still be able have a proper sounding car, except no harm will be done to the enviornment since the only by product is water.
    daveym wrote:
    give the kid a break, he obviously has a big interest and his own opinions. the only diff from most users is that he honestly gave his experience instead of making something up like most people do. Argue with what he says if you have a problem, just putting him down is cowardly and doesn't make you look at all good.
    OK!!!
    so you're arguing about the retlative merits of European and Asian cars based on what experiences?

the rest of the posters here who have contributed to this thread have given their opinions based on years of experience with different cars.

So what criteria do you judge vehicles by? shinyness of paintwork, loudness of stereo, comfyness of passenger seat, what the cool kids in your JC class think?

Just as an aside, I have almost the full range discussed here, An E30 318i (which by the way has ****loads of balls for a 4pot), an Australian Ford Falcon ED 4.0Li, and a Toyota Landcruiser Ute.

each car has its good points and its bad points and I use whichever one suits my needs at the time
    JHMEG wrote:

Thanks for that daveym. I appreciate that. I've been fascinated by cars for as long as I can remember. When I was barely in school, my old pair were in the process of buying a car. We went in a Mondeo, and a Carina E. They bought the Carina(unfortunately), but I knew even then how much of a better car the Mondeo was. And still is:D . I've never once on this board ever tried to say what I knew about what a car was like to drive, because I've never driven a car(not unless you call reversing out the gate driving, or driving a go-kart in Watergrasshill). I'm not in JC year unfortunately i have the LC this year. Why amn't I driving then? A small problem called trying to get insured on the old pairs 1.8 Volvo or 1.8 Avensis. And no, I can't afford my own set of wheels, either. Feel free to argue with what I say, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm always open to other peoples views, nobody said you had to agree with me:) While somtimes I admit I make sweeping statements, I will alwaysgive my honest view on something. As for experiences in this car and that car, it goes without saying that what I thought of the car is what I'll write on this board. And if I haven't been in a car, i'll say what I think of it based on what my impressions are,and from what I hear from friends and in the press. I dont think I can be any more honest than that.

Did I ever say I was an authority?
    Why am I so special that I cant give my views about cars? I never say what I think a car is like to drive(for the reason I gave above), but I dont see any reason why I can't say what I've heard they're like to drive, whether they're dull, comfy, fast,slow, gorgeous, good over bumps, what the interior is like, what cars are based on what etc. I'm interested in Modified Cars(but I have no time for people who think that modifying a pos suddenly makes it a great car; its still the pos it was before, it just looks different now), 'Ordinary' cars, some Classic Cars, and watch Top Gear as much as I can, watch cars doing this and that on you tube, read Fast Car/ Autocar etc when time permits, usually on the internet, and watch the odd bit of F1 or Le Mans(thouggh I can't say I know a whole pile about either). If its a car, then its probably interesting:D The whole reason why I said I never drove in my life in the first place is because I avoid having to make up stuff I know nothing about(what a car is like to drive)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Kid, my point is that unless you actualy drive the car and experience it from that perspective then you cant have an understanding of what its like, I borrowed a mates Chrysler 300C last week, looks the business, sounds great with that hemi, very comfy inside, turning and stoping however are a very different story, even if you dont slam the brakes, and try to bring her to a steady stop theres a noticeable nosedive in the front under braking, the shocks seem to be made from Jelly as the ride bounces and then echos, will say tho that the 4/8 cylinder configuration thingy is clever, pretty much instant power on tap.

oh and let me repeat it looks feckn fantastic, but handles like a barge.

Advertisement