Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boozing this Weekend?

• 09-02-2007 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Hope the mods don't me blatantly pimping this here. Feel free to delete if you disapprove.

Anyway, If your going boozing this weekend you might keep this in mind. I'll be uploading a new website tomorrow called IrishPubPrices.com which will be a register and tracker of prices for all the pubs in Ireland.

This website is not for profit, it's to highlight the rip-off in pubs. As they say, knowledge is power, and with this information you will know how much you are being ripped off.

I was very surprised to be charged €5.60 in a bar I frequent last week. I know Cocoon on Duke St (?) charge €7 for longnecks after 11. :eek:

Please hang onto your receipts if you're out and about over the weekend and we can all see just how badly we are being ripped off. You can then upload them on Monday or whenever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Good idea. If I head out, I'll see if I can help at all. Although it looks to be a quiet one this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sounds like a good idea. Will keep a few receipts from tonight and tomorrow night for the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

As long as it is not for profit, there really is no problem.
    I would suggest you keep reciepts for your drinks as proof though.
    This could turn libelous if you start naming and shaming pubs without any proof.

Do you plan on keeping this thread updated, or are you just going to link to your site?

I'll run this past some of the other mods, but I don't really see much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

also a good idea as its a big rugby weekend and i live near croke park so i'll be able to tell ya all if my local(s) raised prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'll put up a link when the site is finished. The developer is due to finish up tomorrow. I won't be publishing results here, just a bit of a heads up.

As regards defamation, there will be a disclaimer at the bottom, pubs can request clarifications. It's only information, there will be no commentary.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    I'll put up a link when the site is finished. The developer is due to finish up tomorrow. I won't be publishing results here, just a bit of a heads up.

As regards defamation, there will be a disclaimer at the bottom, pubs can request clarifications. It's only information, there will be no commentary.
    Yeah, just make sure everyone emails in a copy of the receipt. Theres not much they can say or do if their own receipts are put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Good idea, will be keeping my receipts from tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

ballooba wrote:
    I was very surprised to be charged €5.60 in a bar I frequent last week.[/B]

I bet you still paid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Receipts? My God has it really been that long since I've drank in Dublin? Hmm. Snobs with your receipts! :p

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah, just make sure everyone emails in a copy of the receipt. Theres not much they can say or do if their own receipts are put up.
    Too much overhead there for users. All I want them to do is upload through a simple form. You have to be registered to use, so repeat offenders will be banned or worse.

• Advertisement

Cake Fiend wrote:
    I bet you still paid though.
    I did. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

3.50 a pint around here, oh utter bliss :p

3.50 a pint around here, oh utter bliss :p
    Yeah, I considered making the site just for Dublin. There are probably other areas in the country where people are being ripped off though.

Drinking in "the country" always puts a smile on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ballooba: Can you please upload receipts for the pubs mentioned above?

General rule: If you're going to name & shame, or imply a specific establishment: you must provide a copy of the receipt here or a photograph of the drink prices board.
    (A discrete, but legible shot will do nicely!)

Karoma wrote:
    ballooba: Can you please upload receipts for the pubs mentioned above?

General rule: If you're going to name & shame, or imply a specific establishment: you must provide a copy of the receipt here or a photograph of the drink prices board.
    (A discrete, but legible shot will do nicely!)
    Those are genuine prices. Here's a link (see page bottom):
    http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/pricetablebeer.html

Haven't got receipts myself unfortunately. Will try to get one for HATM tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A few pints and then on to a club afterwards tomorrow night. I'll keep receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Cheers ballooba, you have justified my weekend pub crawl ;)

Seriously though, great idea. Will try to remember to hang on to receipts.

P.s. My site will be much better than the one linked. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Grand idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bolliwoodi

ballooba wrote:

I was very surprised to be charged €5.60 in a bar I frequent last week. I know Cocoon on Duke St (?) charge €7 for longnecks after 11. :eek:

Please hang onto your receipts if you're out .

7 euro? HUH???????????

We dont get recepits in this town

Though This should be stickyd

Good post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well, the prices I'll be uploading will be non-alcoholic beer ;) "coz I'm under da age, not da influence" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

check this site too..

www.dublinpubscene.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Degsy wrote:
    check this site too..

www.dublinpubscene.ie
    It's .com, and it was linked above.
    I remember seeing that site mentioned quit a bit a while back...hmmm...if only I weren't so [strike]lazy[/strike] unmotivated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Karoma wrote:
    I remember seeing that site mentioned quit a bit a while back...hmmm...if only I weren't so [strike]lazy[/strike] unmotivated...

The strike tag has been changed to[PHP]..[/PHP]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

so really, I'll be performing a piblic service if I head out tonight, so long as I keep my receipts! Anything to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

bolliwoodi wrote:
    7 euro? HUH???????????

We dont get recepits in this town

Though This should be stickyd

Good post
    ask for one. you are entitled to a reciept by law.
    Feel free to post about prices in your local, but please don't post prices and the name of the place without proof of reciept.

example:
    My local charges €4.20 for a pint of bud. A local nightclub charges €5+ for a pint of bud.
    I have not named the premises there.

Terry wrote:
    please don't post prices and the name of the place without proof of reciept.
    Flukey wrote:
    <I must be blind or...>

:confused:

Kept receipts from last night, an 'upmarket' bar in the Stephens Green area.

1 PT Stella €6
    1 PT Bulmers €5.80
    1 PT Lager €5.80
    1 BT White Wine €19
    1 Jagermeister €5.20

Expensive night :(

Site is live at:
    http://www.irishpubprices.com

Fingers crossed, no glitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

Had read this before the weekend and kept it in mind.
    Was disgusted when charged 3eur for a pint of blackcurrent!!

I asked the guy who served me how he could justify that.
    His reply
    "Cuz I'm the manager"

Asked him for a receipt then, and he had it down as 3 dash's @ 1eur a dash.

Won't be visiting Karma on Fishamble St again!

• Advertisement

Was in a superpub meatmarket in the stephen's green area recently.Had been (reluctantly) paying a fiver a pint all night,only to be told after 11pm the price had gone up to 5.70.I asked the barman how they sought to justify this increase and thier prices in general and he informed me that they sold good food and had good music.I asked him could i see a menu as i was starving and he told me the food had finished hours ago.Music-wise,i think it was Kylie Minogue playing when i left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I remember seeing a site similar to this. It had a map of Ireland, you click a county and it had prices for the pubs in each county. I think I might have seen it in the Rip Off Ireland forum, which is probably where this thread should be in the first place. But anyway, it is a nice idea and has been done before, but fair play to you for setting up the site. I hope you keep it up to date and better than the previous sites I have seen which do the same thing.

connundrum: Those prices are crazy. 5.20 for a shot of Jager? I'd have walked out. Dublin is crazy expensive, you people are being ripped off big time. I can still get Guinness for €3.00 a pint in this town. When I was in Berlin a year ago I ordered 14 shots of Jagermeister and it came to a total of €22 euro. Considering you can't even get 5 shots for that price is ridiculous, but you paid for it. 5.80 for a pint of beer is mad as well, it's 4.00 here.

sjones wrote:
    connundrum: Those prices are crazy. 5.20 for a shot of Jager? I'd have walked out. Dublin is crazy expensive, you people are being ripped off big time. I can still get Guinness for €3.00 a pint in this town. When I was in Berlin a year ago I ordered 14 shots of Jagermeister and it came to a total of €22 euro. Considering you can't even get 5 shots for that price is ridiculous, but you paid for it. 5.80 for a pint of beer is mad as well, it's 4.00 here.

Ah its hard cos thats where the crowd wanted to go like, so you gotta go with the flow. I always used to drink Guinness thinking that it would always be the cheaper option until we went into one particular pub where the Guinness was 20c dearer than Stella - which I nearly had a heart attack over.

Does anyone have info on whether increasing prices after certain hours is legal?

One bar I worked in had two increases every Saturday night - one at 10.30 and one at 12. The increases were automatically done on the tills so we had no choice but to charge the new prices :(

And when asked to justify the prices I'd advise people to drink elsewhere if they felt it was too expensice (without sarcasm).

Funnily enough, I was in pubs/clubs throughout Friday, Saturday and Sunday...yet I couldn't manage to keep a single receipt.

sjones wrote:
    I remember seeing a site similar to this. It had a map of Ireland, you click a county and it had prices for the pubs in each county.
    Are you sure that wasn't for Fuel prices? My site is "inspired" by one of those.

Pumps.ie and IrishFuelPrices.com are the two price comparison engines for Fuel. The former uses Google Technology but is imo an inferior site. The latter is far easier to use, even if it doesn't look as flashy.

These two aren't as popular now since the price of Fuel fell and is now 99c pretty much everywhere. I also believe that Pumps.ie fragmented the userbase of IFP.com and destroyed it.
    sjones wrote:
    Connundrum: I noticed you signed up, how did you get on with adding prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Couldnt help but notice COUNTY CARLOW DOESNT EXIST according to your site :p

If ya need prices on the Dinn Ri; Foundry; or Tower in Carlow Town, I'm yer man (I work there)....wont pay 7eur for a bottle ;) priciest bottle is 5.65 for alcopops, 4.60 for beers.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote:
    Couldnt help but notice COUNTY CARLOW DOESNT EXIST according to your site :p
    Your kidding me! D'Oh!

It's added now. Unfortunately not in alphabetical order. Will fix this when have time.
    Overheal wrote:
    If ya need prices on the Dinn Ri; Foundry; or Tower in Carlow Town, I'm yer man (I work there)....wont pay 7eur for a bottle ;) priciest bottle is 5.65 for alcopops, 4.60 for beers.
    That's pretty damn expensive for Carlow. They probably have cover charge too. I might add category for that.

If ya dont mind drinking the stuff Fosters is usually 3.00-3.50 a pint wherever its sold,even in town.Also watch out for Bavaria,about the same price and not a bad pint at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

ballooba wrote:
    That's pretty damn expensive for Carlow. They probably have cover charge too. I might add category for that.

Yes it is damn expensive. Cover charge is €12 plus another €1.50 or €2 for cloakroom. And it's always about 1am when I'm paying in and the place basically closes just afer 2am. I always feel like an idiot the next day.

Degsy wrote:
    If ya dont mind drinking the stuff Fosters is usually 3.00-3.50 a pint wherever its sold,even in town.Also watch out for Bavaria,about the same price and not a bad pint at all.

Bavaria ++

It used to be €3 a pint in a load of places, but relatively hard to find now :(

Advertisement