Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing into Canada and back to US

Options
  • 09-02-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hows it going. I have been in the US since Jan 8th on a contract. Originally was planning to go back to Ireland for a week in April before the 90 day visa was up and come back.

Time and budget constraints on the project are such that I was wondering if it would be possible to go up to Canada and reenter the US and begin a new 90 day visa. I need to stay until June 10th so would only need to do it once.

Any experience how this pans out today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You mention contract, are you there on a business or tourist visa?

If you are there as a tourist you need to enter a non-bordering country before returning to the States to renew a US tourist visa. If that were the case there wouldn't be any illegal Irish in the States ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Not possible as you will only Canada as a tourist and that's if they bother to stamp your passport considering you still have an active Visa for the US. Usually they will just ask how long you intend to stay in Canada. I have crossed the border twice from one to the other and have many friends who have done it. The American and Canadian guys know all the tricks in the book. If you enter Canada and they do stamp the passport for 90 days then say within a week you decide to go back the US Immigration guy will know what you are trying to do and may only stamp your passport long enough for you to leave as in 7 days etc etc. Thread carefully and Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

I'll post this here since it's a similar question.

I'm flying into Vancouver in August and will probably bus it over to Seattle for a week or so. Do I need a visa for Canada only? What will I need at the US border?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

DonJose wrote:
    If you are there as a tourist you need to enter a non-bordering country before returning to the States QUOTE]

I'm flying back to Ireland in March just before the visa expires so I should be fine and returning a week later.

Thanks for the replies lads. I don't want to chance anything since I need to be able to travel back and forth to the US in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I'll post this here since it's a similar question.

I'm flying into Vancouver in August and will probably bus it over to Seattle for a week or so. Do I need a visa for Canada only? What will I need at the US border?

Done this last year, you don't need any paper work. They'll just stamp your passport and you'll be on your merry way. Allow the guy at customs gave a serious search (about 15 minutes) but everything was fine. Also i would suggest getting the train down and bus back as train leave Vancouver only in the morning and buses leave Seattle only at night (well that's what they told me anyway). Also there are some great views on the train down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

amull87 wrote:
    Done this last year, you don't need any paper work. They'll just stamp your passport and you'll be on your merry way. Allow the guy at customs gave a serious search (about 15 minutes) but everything was fine. Also i would suggest getting the train down and bus back as train leave Vancouver only in the morning and buses leave Seattle only at night (well that's what they told me anyway). Also there are some great views on the train down.

I did this last week taking the bus both ways :)
    We got stuck behind a bus of Japanese tourists for 1 & 1/2 hours but only took a couple of minutes to go through ourselves. This was early morning.
    Coming back at around 9 in the evening there were no line ups or anything! Happy days :)

Advertisement