Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite line from Macbeth?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

The End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

alan4cult wrote:
    The End

not in the text...

not even at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

"I must take it like a man".

Nearly died laughing when the actor mumbled it out on stage. As did the other 5 schools in attendance. Poor fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

the best bit is when Macduff's family are being murdered (or something like that) and the kid goes mad at the murderers and the murderer roars at the son 'What?
    You egg!' and stabs him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

alan4cult wrote:
    The End
    Lol, I second that! No, in all seriousness thats a tough one. I'd have to go with the "out, out, brief candle..." soliloquy. Thats a brilliant one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Schlemm wrote:
    the best bit is when Macduff's family are being murdered (or something like that) and the kid goes mad at the murderers and the murderer roars at the son 'What?
    Lol :D

Mine is, is this a dagger I see before me? Mainly because of the Big Al's burger ad, Is this a burger I see before me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What?
    You egg!'

Yeah, thats fuuny, then the kid walks over to the mothr: "Mother, they have killed me"!

Dont know why I find it funny, but prob cos I saw it yesterday in the film and I remember it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I dunno, I stopped caring at "by William Shakespeare".

When Lady Macbeth says "unsex". She'd really need to head to Thailand for that.
    "Be not like the flower, but rather be the serpent under't"
    "All Great Neptune's Oceans..."
    "Is this a dagger..."
    That's all the quotes I know. Well, surely when he's killin Duncan he says something along the lines of :"Die b****. Mof***a, I'm da king now, aw yeah".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Schlemm wrote:

ah thats a brilliant one! i remember when we learnt that scene... we all died laughing.. "you egg"... such strong words... we were only laughing to hide our disgust a old william's language...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

"Cream fac'd loon!"

"Liver of a blaspheming Jew"

Also the what, you egg one...but you forgot.."young fry of treachery!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

"Often times to win us to our harm the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles, only to betray us in deepest consequence"

I just like it.

'What, you egg!' is great, I found it hilarious the way the kid manages to say 'He hath killed me, mother' having just been stabbed in the back too...

Not to forget Banquo in the scene where he's murdered

'Give me a light, ho!'

open to misinterpretation!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Yeah I'm afraid i gotta follow the trend by agreeing that the classic line is indeed:

"What! You egg" -

"Cream fac'd loon!" also gave me a total laugh attack when i first noticed it in the library the last day!

Nothing like Macbeth freaking out like a girl at the end tho:
    "Arm! Arm and out!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

I'm afraid you're all missing the best quote (And one of the very few I know)

"The thane of Fife had a wife... Where is she now????"

My friends and I have laugh our tits off every time that comes up and we use it in every essay. Irregardless of what the essay's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

"The instruments of darkness tell us truths
    Only to betray us in deepest consequence"

Used in every Maccers answer I've ever done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

"Give me a light there, ho!" heh, you tell them bitches, you tell them.

Also, "Fly! False thanes, fly", 'cause I get this mental image of Macbeth throwing them from the top of his castle and demanding that they fly.

Or the classic, "He has killed me, mother" *child dies*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

rorymcn wrote:
    Irregardless

???

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

The child dieing is pretty, funny. (Eep that sounds bad!) Our teacher laughed aswell, we were watching the Polanski version, (thanks to a lack of plays being shown at the Civic theatre), and it just seemed that it was over the top. Of course the funniest bit in the Polanski film is all the naked witches, it's so stupid!

Stupid AND disgusting, we watched that too, GROSS.

When you watch it a second time you just burst out laughing. Maybe it's just our class, it seems so over the top and ludicrous.

• Advertisement

Our second time we just sat there laughing etc. Are you in a mixed school?

Yeah, fairly split down the middle in our class in terms of boys and girls.

Naked witches you say..

I've only seen the Ian McKellan/Judi Dench version, which I discovered to be a magnificent performance! How does Polanski's compare?

My favourite line is Macbeth's last line, while he's fighting Macduff, not sure if this is accurate,

"And damned be he who first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

fantacan wrote:
    Yeah I'm afraid i gotta follow the trend by agreeing that the classic line is indeed:

"What! You egg" -

"Cream fac'd loon!" also gave me a total laugh attack when i first noticed it in the library the last day!

Nothing like Macbeth freaking out like a girl at the end tho:
    "Arm! Arm and out!"

In the line of insults, we can't forget Macduff's kid,

"Thou liest, thou shag-haired villain!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

be but like the innocent flower but be the serpent underneath

or

yet do i fear thy heart is to full of the milk of human kindness

been years since i studied it but them two stick out and fit into most answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I am in blood stepped in so far, that should I wade no more, returning were as tedious as go o'er

i like it and its always useful when writing about the play

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Double double toil and trouble.

It's a classic for a reason. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The child dieing is pretty, funny. (Eep that sounds bad!) Our teacher laughed aswell, we were watching the Polanski version, (thanks to a lack of plays being shown at the Civic theatre), and it just seemed that it was over the top. Of course the funniest bit in the Polanski film is all the naked witches, it's so stupid!

I think you'll find that the funniest bit in that movie is the classic fight scene at the end between Macbeth and Macduff, which is preceded by your man getting the arrow in the forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

We went to see Macbeth a coule of weeks ago in a play
    seriously.....................I have never laughed so hard!

Duncan was this old scottish fella who we actually couldn't understand! He had a really strong accent and A LISP!! Could you imagine!

The witches were all acting like lesbians! It was really disturbing!

And when Duncan died, the scottish guy came back as the doorman, and he was "acting" out his sexual yearnings!! I nearly got sick! Got off school though!

My favorite quote is "If thou durst do it, then you were a man" LM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

All I remember from when I went to see Macbeth, was lots of knackers shouting and screaming like idiots. Same thing happened when we went to see Death Of A Salesman in the Town Hall, except the shouting was x2.
    OnTopic, "By the pricking of my thumbs/Something wicked this way comes" IV i
    I read the fantasy-book when I was really young, so it was wicked reading the lines from the play since I didn't know it was taken from it.

EDIT:typo

Advertisement