Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AW Stats

Options
  • 09-02-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I was checking the awstats on a 365 hosted site and got the following:

Visits 11
    Pages 58
    Hits 362

Now i understand the Visits and pages ratio, but what counts as a hit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Every file on the page - images etc. is counted as a 'hit'. It's pretty meaningless. Managers/directors where I work are always asking about how many 'hits' are on our site it's a pain in the ass having to explain about page views, visits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The AWstats on my site are totally messed up for some reason

Firstly things always shoot up on the weekends for some reason when it should be the opposite.. when i mean shoot up they shoot up about 1000% !!!

The during the week they fall to hardly anything..

But from my Google Adsense i can get a better idea and yesterday sealed the deal that my Awstats are useless.. I got 1200 page impression on my google page and a 3% click thru rate.. while my AWstats showed that i has 12 viewers:eek: Thing it was a good 200/300 short!:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Awstats is a fine program, I would suggest Weathercheck's problems might either be with the configuration or the log files themselves.

I think the hits thing stems from back in the day when it was the metric all those BS dot bomb com companies were using as it was the biggest number and press/general public have stuck with it.

In relation to hits, here is what I wrote in a help file a few years ago:
    Hits:
    A hit is an action on the domain, such as when a user views a page or downloads a file. Many files may be downloaded with a page view. For example, if someone views a webpage that has 5 images on it, the total amount of hits recorded for this action is 6 (1 web page hit and 5 image hits).
    The amount of hits is therefore not an accurate measurement of site traffic.

http://www.cloch.com/Web_Statistics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

The other thing to bear in mind is that AWstats includes a whole bunch of bots. So that visits 11 may well only be half that number for human visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

best option is to install/enable a second logging application (AFAIK h365 provide webalizer as well) and then compare the statistics between the two applications... gives you a better all round idea of the traffic for your site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Well I can guarantee you webalizer and Awstats results will differ, but the op was only wondering about hits.

If you were going for a second stats package, I would recommend Google Analytics: http://www.google.com/analytics/

Advertisement