Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car heater blowing out cold air

Options
  • 09-02-2007 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

My zafira is blowing out cold air , just wondering if it could have anything to do with water which I put into the car, the car temperture gauge on the dash board gets high after about a week so I keep the water topped up every week, if not car over heats,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

see your mechanic asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

oulu wrote:
    My zafira is blowing out cold air , just wondering if it could have anything to do with water which I put into the car, the car temperture gauge on the dash board gets high after about a week so I keep the water topped up every week, if not car over heats,

Sounds like the thermostat, or maybe an air lock. Curious as to where the water the water is going as it needs a refill. See your mechanic unless you know something about changing the thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If the water is disappearing then it's not the thermostat. One possibility is a blown head gasket. There could also be a leak anywhere in the coolant system.

When you say you add water, I'm hoping it's not H2O you are adding, i.e. pure water. You should only add engine coolant or a mixture of water and coolant, particularly in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Slow coach wrote:
    If the water is disappearing then it's not the thermostat. One possibility is a blown head gasket. There could also be a leak anywhere in the coolant system.

When you say you add water, I'm hoping it's not H2O you are adding, i.e. pure water. You should only add engine coolant or a mixture of water and coolant, particularly in winter.

Yep - it could be as bad as a blown head gasket.

Coolant should be circulating in an engine all year - not just in winter. In winter coolant has anti-freeze properties, but it also protects against corrosion - this is why it should be circulating all year long, with possibly a reduced concentration in summer.

Advertisement